Lyndon Nerenberg

Default Dual cooker..as the English call them

engsol writes:

I thought of the hot plate too, except a google search didn't reveal
a source for them.

Oh for crying out loud, just walk to your nearest hardware or
dry goods store :-)

--lyndon
Terry Spragg

engsol wrote:
I'd like to find a stove top (don't need an oven) which
would run on either propane or shore power. Short of
making my own, are there such units available? Google
doesn't admit to any.
Thanks...Norm B

A dual electric hot plate will cost about 25 loons, and a dual
propane camp stove can be had for 20. Coleman's white gas camp stove
is also about 30 bucks, and the fuel is cheaper. White gas is just
as dangerous on a boat as it is on shore, if not more so.

Take care, as always.

What you can get for Can$400.00, in marine paint, I don't know and
ain't gonna bother checking, but I do know what I would buy every
few years if rust became a problem, which is unlikely with a minimum
of care. Likewise for a taffrail propane grill, at about 30 bucks.
Mine is 5 years old and I did need to bend up a mounting bracket and
reduce the venting, and still hardly gets used, but could do.

I sail in fresh water, so YMMV.

Terry K

A smart sailor knows how to save a few bucks, and keeps the gin
locker full.

engsol

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 19:37:02 -0000, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

engsol writes:

I thought of the hot plate too, except a google search didn't reveal
a source for them.

Oh for crying out loud, just walk to your nearest hardware or
dry goods store :-)

--lyndon

Thanks for the advice. It turned out to not be as easy as that.
After 10-12 calls, I found only one....a really cheap one ($12)
that I wouldn't turn my back on for a second. I didn't buy it.
Hence the google search, and the post here.
Seems that in this part of the country (western USA) college dorms
and apartments (that I'm aware of) have outlawed
hotplates...too dangerous "they" say....so not much demand.
Norm B
Doug Dotson

I taught college for many years. The reason they outlawed them had
nothing to do with the device but to do with irresponsible students
and liability risks.

An electric stovetop is nothing more than a collection of hotplates.
Unless you are using one while passed out, hung over, or having
cheap sex, they are perfectly safe.

Doug
s/v Callista

wrote:

engsol writes:

I thought of the hot plate too, except a google search didn't reveal
a source for them.

Oh for crying out loud, just walk to your nearest hardware or
dry goods store :-)

--lyndon

Thanks for the advice. It turned out to not be as easy as that.
After 10-12 calls, I found only one....a really cheap one ($12)
that I wouldn't turn my back on for a second. I didn't buy it.
Hence the google search, and the post here.
Seems that in this part of the country (western USA) college dorms
and apartments (that I'm aware of) have outlawed
hotplates...too dangerous "they" say....so not much demand.
Norm B

Karin Conover-Lewis

And any reasonably intelligent dorm resident was capable of preparing tasty
dishes on top of their steam iron or in their popcorn popper, anyway. So the
actual hotplates were an unnecessary redundancy. ;-)

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
I taught college for many years. The reason they outlawed them had
nothing to do with the device but to do with irresponsible students
and liability risks.

An electric stovetop is nothing more than a collection of hotplates.
Unless you are using one while passed out, hung over, or having
cheap sex, they are perfectly safe.

Doug
s/v Callista

Rodney Myrvaagnes

engsol writes:

I thought of the hot plate too, except a google search didn't reveal
a source for them.

Oh for crying out loud, just walk to your nearest hardware or
dry goods store :-)

--lyndon

Thanks for the advice. It turned out to not be as easy as that.
After 10-12 calls, I found only one....a really cheap one ($12)
that I wouldn't turn my back on for a second. I didn't buy it.
Hence the google search, and the post here.
Seems that in this part of the country (western USA) college dorms
and apartments (that I'm aware of) have outlawed
hotplates...too dangerous "they" say....so not much demand.
Norm B

You could search for "induction cookers." They cost more than hot
plates, but only heat ferromagnetic pans. A home type single burner
costs about $180, IIRC.

They can heat up a pan much faster than a hotplate of the same power
requirements. The one I have seen in use (by a professional chef doing
a demonstration in a dining room) was only about an inch thick, so it
would stow easily.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Ask not with whom the buck stops . . .
Rosalie B.

engsol wrote:

I'm the OP refered to below. My reason for wanting a dual stove
is this....
My crusing area has lots of neat anchorages...therefore I
need propane. The are also lot's of neat little marinas which
provide shore power, but the propane facilities may be miles
away. In that case, I'd rather save propane, and use electricity
for heat (only to take the morning chill off) and cooking.

First, we have dual propane tanks and after 3 winters of cruising we
finally went ahead and refilled the propane tank. It lasts a really,
really long time on one tank and it wasn't empty. I think they are 20
lb. tanks. We also have a small propane tank for the grill.

Second - instead of getting an electric stove or the like to use when
hooked up to shore power why not get a microwave? We don't have one
because we never used it and took it off the boat and gave it away (to
our grandson), but lots of people do. For heat, we use a small space
heater.

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 00:08:56 -0700, "Evan Gatehouse" wrote:

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
I saw these, but they are not what the OP asked for.

Doug
s/v Callista

Oops. I thought he meant propane OR electricity. I agree it makes little
sense to want both given the low cost and convenience of propane.

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id2.html
Lyndon Nerenberg

Rodney Myrvaagnes writes:

You could search for "induction cookers." They cost more than hot
plates, but only heat ferromagnetic pans.

And I suspect they would raise merry hell with your compass. I wouldn't
let something like this anywhere near my boat :-)

--lyndon
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:06:26 -0000, Lyndon Nerenberg
wrote:

Rodney Myrvaagnes writes:

You could search for "induction cookers." They cost more than hot
plates, but only heat ferromagnetic pans.

And I suspect they would raise merry hell with your compass. I wouldn't
let something like this anywhere near my boat :-)

The OP wanted an alternative to propane at a dock with electricity, so
both pan and plate would be stowed whenver the compass is in use.

.. In any case, the ferromagnetic pan and the plate shouldn't be stored
near the compass with the boat in motion, but otherwise what problem?

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

Capsizing under chute, and having the chute rise and fill without tangling, all while Mark and Sally are still behind you
Brian Whatcott

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:58:20 -0400, Rodney Myrvaagnes
wrote:

///
You could search for "induction cookers." They cost more than hot
plates, but only heat ferromagnetic pans.

///

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

??

(ot) Texas Republicans endorse God, squabble, call for dismantling the federal government, await indictments and pray for Bush. Jim General 4 June 13th 04 03:39 PM
Michigan Muslims Want to Use Loudspeakers for Call to Prayer Christopher Robin General 91 May 10th 04 12:08 PM
The Call Came... NOYB General 35 April 13th 04 02:32 AM
Salt water dual console recommendations please. Dan Krueger Cruising 0 September 6th 03 02:19 AM