Doug Dotson

Default Dual cooker..as the English call them

I never use my compass much while docked!

Doug
s/v Callista

"Lyndon Nerenberg" wrote in message
Rodney Myrvaagnes writes:

You could search for "induction cookers." They cost more than hot
plates, but only heat ferromagnetic pans.

And I suspect they would raise merry hell with your compass. I wouldn't
let something like this anywhere near my boat :-)

--lyndon

Lyndon Nerenberg

Rodney Myrvaagnes writes:

The OP wanted an alternative to propane at a dock with electricity, so
both pan and plate would be stowed whenver the compass is in use.

. In any case, the ferromagnetic pan and the plate shouldn't be stored
near the compass with the boat in motion, but otherwise what problem?

If it throws a strong enough magnetic field it could permanently
magnetize the compass. I wouldn't want to have to swing the compass
every time I made bacon and eggs for breakfast :-)

--lyndon
engsol

On 17 Jun 2004 19:09:03 -0600, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

Rodney Myrvaagnes writes:

The OP wanted an alternative to propane at a dock with electricity, so
both pan and plate would be stowed whenver the compass is in use.

. In any case, the ferromagnetic pan and the plate shouldn't be stored
near the compass with the boat in motion, but otherwise what problem?

If it throws a strong enough magnetic field it could permanently
magnetize the compass. I wouldn't want to have to swing the compass
every time I made bacon and eggs for breakfast :-)

--lyndon

As far as I know, induction cookers operate on frequencies between
25 kHz and 40kHz. Being AC (RF) in nature, I doubt it'd magnetize anything.
More likely de-magnetize the compass, if too close, but it'd take awhile.
Plus, I'd suspect the magnetic field would be optomized in the vertical direction.
And I'd also suspect that the HF radio wouldn't be very happy.
The primary show stopper is cost....$1,000 up...way up.
Norm B

Rodney Myrvaagnes

Rodney Myrvaagnes writes:

[...]

There is a home-type hotplate-like one for about $180. I have seen it
used by chefs doing cooking demonstrations in the dining room on
several occasions.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

Capsizing under chute, and having the chute rise and fill without tangling, all while Mark and Sally are still behind you

(ot) Texas Republicans endorse God, squabble, call for dismantling the federal government, await indictments and pray for Bush. Jim General 4 June 13th 04 03:39 PM
Michigan Muslims Want to Use Loudspeakers for Call to Prayer Christopher Robin General 91 May 10th 04 12:08 PM
The Call Came... NOYB General 35 April 13th 04 02:32 AM
Salt water dual console recommendations please. Dan Krueger Cruising 0 September 6th 03 02:19 AM