Ralph

Default Shady Billing Practices of IMIS Insurance

I pop by here now and then for information. I have been cruising for
many years and pop in when in port.

It continually amazes me to see people responding to know it all know
NOTHING JaxAshby.

Surely it's OBVIOUS that he is an anal orifice who hasn't really left
his arm chair in years.

Why in god's name do you people respond to his purile infantile rants?

I skip each and every one of his posts, as I KNOW from past exposure
that he is ALWAYS full of crap and THRILLED to demonstrate that fact by
arguing non-sense.

Goober is as goober does. JaxAshbury is a waste of bandwidth. Ignore
him. Maybe he'll go away (but I doubt it).

Feel free to lay out your usual line of totall crap Jax. I won't see it.
I ignore you like everyone else should.

JAXAshby wrote:
jeffies, you are confusing writing a check with in regard to the FTC 3-Day Mail
Order Rule and charging a credit card.

but you are easily confused, jeffies, on a whole bunch of things.

Sorry jaxie, you're still making up BS. Here's another FTC link, which is

pretty explicit that goods must be shipped within 30 days of payment.
However,
there is no "$10,000" penalty, there are guidelines for how to offer to
return
the money.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/.../mailorder.htm

"When you offer to sell merchandise, you must have a "reasonable basis" for:
any express or implied shipment representation, or
believing you can ship within 30 days of receipt of an order -- if you
make no shipment representation or if the shipment representation is not
clear
and conspicuous.
The "clock" on your obligation to ship or take other action under the Rule
begins as soon as you receive a "properly completed" order. An order is
properly
completed when you receive the correct full or partial (in whatever form you
accept) payment, accompanied by all the information you need to fill the
order.
Payment may be by cash, check, money order, the customer’s authorization to
charge an existing account (including one you have created for the customer),
the customer’s application to you for credit to pay for the order, or any
substitute for these transactions that you accept.
It is irrelevant when you post or deposit payment, when checks clear, or when
your bank credits your account. The clock begins to run when you receive a
properly completed order."

"JAXAshby" wrote in message

jeffies, you screwed up *again*. what you quoted is the FTC regulation
regarding ship after order date for mail orders. It is a $10,000 fine to

ship

*after* 30 days *after* an order.

The charging only after shipment or customer authorization to charge

earlier
is

in no way related to the FTC 30-Day Mail Order rule.

It is against the law to charge a credit card before shipment unless

specificly

authorized by the credit card user.

On a whim, I did a simple google and within a few minutes found a number

of

docs
on the FTC site, such as:
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1996/06/cybersho.htm

It appears that the requirement is a good faith effort to ship within 30
days.
Some credit card companies may require "ship before bill" but it is not

the

law.

BTW, I usually pay Boat/US by credit card, and they always say "do you

want

me
to charge this now?" Since its usually a few days before renewal, (and

well

within the grace period) I always say yes.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message

jeffies, is was -- to say the least -- very big news some time back.

ask

your

wife to explain it to you.

In other words, you don't know, you just made it up. Typical jaxie -

make

up

nonsense and then try to bluff your way out.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message

US Federal law.

Could you tell us what law this is? I'm curious because I put in an

Amazon

order yesterday and they say it might be shipping tomorrow, but the

charges

have
already shown on my credit card. I know that many venders honor the

practice

of
only billing after shipping, but I don't think its the law.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message

it is in the agreement that payment is made upon order, otherwise

the

law

is

clear.

dougeies, it is against federal law to charge a credit card

before

services are

rendered/product is shipped. What word don't you understand?

Are you sure about that? I have had a web-shop, using PayPal. The

moment

someone ordered a product, Paypal immediately charged his/her

creditcard

and

an e-mail was sent to me to inform me of the payment made so I

could

ship

the goods. This is standard practise. Now don't tell me the

entire

Paypal

system would be against federal law.

Meindert

JAXAshby

Ralph -- who know one has ever heard of before -- writes to tell us that he
doesn't read and that if he did read he would be glad for marina's gouging
customers with illegal business practises.

ain't that nice.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message

[...]

Geoff Schultz

I would like to note that IMIS has NOT forwarded my payment on to the
insurance carrier as of yet. They've pocketed my $5000 for 2 months
despite having made 2 payments to the carrier per their e-mail to me.
If anyone doubts their motivation they need to rethink their stance.

People have asked why I payed by credit card. The answer is simple.
They couldn't tell me the exact amount before I left for Belize. Once
I got there I wouldn't have Internet access.

-- Geoff Schultz in Guatemala

(~GARY GOLDEN, International Marine Insurance Services) wrote in message . com...
Being Vice-president of IMIS I would first like to express my
appreciation to my client Geoff Schultz who, despite his concern with
our service, was willing to post our responses so that others could
fairly form their own judgements about our agency.

Now I must say that it is heartwarming to find that others are willing
to defend our agency based on their own good experiences and/or based
on the facts of this particular case.

I am also glad to see the astute academic discussion of credit card
charges and when they should be made, to which I have something to
add:

From our perspective, since we are not an insurance company but rather
an insurance sales agency, our services are rendered at the time that
a policy is issued, so it is not material when the policy takes
effect. Of course, if a client wants to wait until the last minute to
receive his policy we are willing to accomodate an explicit request
that we delay a credit card charge and subsequent issuance of the
policy, but most cruisers are very glad of the opportunity to get
their policy in advance so that they have time to read it before it
actually takes effect.

~GARY GOLDEN, International Marine Insurance Services

Doug Dotson

I would have walked away just based upon the
fact that they couldn;t give you the exact amount. Shame on
you for buying into a company that works that way. In
addition, giving them your credit card info without any
solid agreement on what the bill would be is pretty risky.

Doug
s/v Callista

om...

wrote in message . com...
Being Vice-president of IMIS I would first like to express my
appreciation to my client Geoff Schultz who, despite his concern with
our service, was willing to post our responses so that others could
fairly form their own judgements about our agency.

Now I must say that it is heartwarming to find that others are willing
to defend our agency based on their own good experiences and/or based
on the facts of this particular case.

I am also glad to see the astute academic discussion of credit card
charges and when they should be made, to which I have something to
add:

From our perspective, since we are not an insurance company but rather
an insurance sales agency, our services are rendered at the time that
a policy is issued, so it is not material when the policy takes
effect. Of course, if a client wants to wait until the last minute to
receive his policy we are willing to accomodate an explicit request
that we delay a credit card charge and subsequent issuance of the
policy, but most cruisers are very glad of the opportunity to get
their policy in advance so that they have time to read it before it
actually takes effect.

~GARY GOLDEN, International Marine Insurance Services

Geoff Schultz

Doug, you're so full of your own crap that it isn't even funny. I
already had a policy with IMIS. They just couldn't come up with the
exact $ and cents necesary for me to cut them a check. Had they been
able to none of this would have happened.

I spent a lot of time looking at policies and they had the best one
available for my cruising area. I simply expected them to follow
what I would consider reasonable billing practices. You clearly have
no idea how difficult it has become for a US registered boat to obtain
international cruising insurance since 9/11. So instead of slinging
insinuations on topics that you're clearly not verseed in, why don't
you shut up!?!

-- Geoff Schultz

wrote in message . com...
Being Vice-president of IMIS I would first like to express my
appreciation to my client Geoff Schultz who, despite his concern with
our service, was willing to post our responses so that others could
fairly form their own judgements about our agency.

Now I must say that it is heartwarming to find that others are willing
to defend our agency based on their own good experiences and/or based
on the facts of this particular case.

I am also glad to see the astute academic discussion of credit card
charges and when they should be made, to which I have something to
add:

From our perspective, since we are not an insurance company but rather
an insurance sales agency, our services are rendered at the time that
a policy is issued, so it is not material when the policy takes
effect. Of course, if a client wants to wait until the last minute to
receive his policy we are willing to accomodate an explicit request
that we delay a credit card charge and subsequent issuance of the
policy, but most cruisers are very glad of the opportunity to get
their policy in advance so that they have time to read it before it
actually takes effect.

~GARY GOLDEN, International Marine Insurance Services

paul martin

Scott, they didn't extend your policy for 'free'. I think you will
find that...a.You were not covered during that two-week period should
you have made a claim, and b. once they received payment your coverage
(and policy period)was back dated to 6/6/04.

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message .. .
on the flip side, my BoatUS policy ran out 6/6/04, the new prem was on my
desk, buried under paper work. BoatUS extended the coverage 2 weeks (for
free) and sent another notice, which I paid today via credit card.

--
Scotty
S/V Lisa Marie

"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 16:10:01 -0700, "jmax" said:

Well I have had my say

You left something out. Following the misunderstanding Mr. Schultz made
himself a total ass by blustering, threatening to "expose" his
"mistreatment" and throwing a public temper tantrum when "I want what I

want
when I want it" didn't work. My hat's off to IMIS for refusing to cave to
such nonsense.

Dave
S/V Good Fortune
CS27

Scott Vernon

Their letter clearly stated that my coverage was extended for 2 weeks. Hold
up in court? maybe. Yes, the new charge was backdated as I would have
expected.

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville PA __/)__/)__

"paul martin" wrote in message
om...
Scott, they didn't extend your policy for 'free'. I think you will
find that...a.You were not covered during that two-week period should
you have made a claim, and b. once they received payment your coverage
(and policy period)was back dated to 6/6/04.

.. .