Default Dumb Q : Barnacle Scraper

wrote in message
I don't think Neal can afford the good stuff.
It doesn't work as well if the mutton fat and chilli powder was
'previously owned'.

"Capt. JG" wrote:
I actually tried habanera on my Cal 20. As far as I could tell, it made
no
difference. LOL

Years ago, a sailing club had a long running experiment in which anti-
fouling paints worked best in local waters. They had several boards
painted with different kinds, properly labelled & dated, and left
hanging about 2' under water for months at a time. Even back then
(about 20 years ago) there were old wives tales circulating about
adding chili powder or jalapeno juice or similar "Muy Caliente"
ingredient to paint for anti-fouling, so the testers at this sailing
club tried it.

Had absolutely zero effect. Apparently barnacles don't have taste
buds.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Well, I did notice the diver was agitated.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

mmc wrote:
"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message
My kid, home for Christmas, had me weld up a barnacle scraper.
A long wood handle with a sharp steel blade. Does this seem like a
good idea to you? If not, how? and with what?

Thanks for clueing me in.

Brian W

I use both one of these things that looks like a hoe thats been straightened
and a 7 in 1 tool (fancy name for paint scraper from Lowes and HD). The hoe
thing lets me get some momentum on the swings because of it's lenght and
because of the wood handle is easy(er) to find when I drop it. It stands up
with the scraper end on the bottom. The 7 in 1 tool (with parachute cord
lanyard) is handy for the running gear and light stuff.

I asked him later how it went. He was very pleased with the improvement.
Yess, there was some scraping of the surface, and yes, he still needs a
haul out for a bottom coat, but he was happy how much better the boat
looks now.

Thanks

Brian W

Barnacle Help mgarvie Boat Building 6 January 21st 06 02:42 PM
Cabinet scraper [email protected] Boat Building 4 May 7th 05 03:46 PM
P*erago scraper tool Pete Fisher UK Paddle 0 January 19th 05 04:04 PM
P*erago scraper tool Pete Fisher UK Power Boats 0 January 19th 05 04:04 PM
(OT ) Dumb Dumb Dumb! (maybe he'll shoot himself in the foot) Jim General 19 June 8th 04 05:36 PM