Bruce In Bangkok Bruce In Bangkok is offline

Default Dumb Q : Barnacle Scraper

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 15:40:17 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I don't think Neal can afford the good stuff.
It doesn't work as well if the mutton fat and chilli powder was
'previously owned'.

"Capt. JG" wrote:
I actually tried habanera on my Cal 20. As far as I could tell, it made no
difference. LOL

Years ago, a sailing club had a long running experiment in which anti-
fouling paints worked best in local waters. They had several boards
painted with different kinds, properly labelled & dated, and left
hanging about 2' under water for months at a time. Even back then
(about 20 years ago) there were old wives tales circulating about
adding chili powder or jalapeno juice or similar "Muy Caliente"
ingredient to paint for anti-fouling, so the testers at this sailing
club tried it.

Had absolutely zero effect. Apparently barnacles don't have taste
buds.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Practical Boat Owner, a British magazine did an "anti-fouling paint"
test some years ago and placed sample boards in every ,major harbour
in England. The results were that different paints had very different
results in various harbours. I found it quite interesting as it pretty
well proved that there is no "best" bottom paint.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)