Default Dumb Q : Barnacle Scraper

My kid, home for Christmas, had me weld up a barnacle scraper.
A long wood handle with a sharp steel blade. Does this seem like a
good idea to you? If not, how? and with what?

Thanks for clueing me in.

Brian W

Brian Whatcott wrote in
:

My kid, home for Christmas, had me weld up a barnacle scraper.
A long wood handle with a sharp steel blade. Does this seem like a
good idea to you? If not, how? and with what?

Thanks for clueing me in.

Brian W

That should get off the barnacles......along with the gelcoat and a few
layers of glass mat (or some plastic from the chopper gun if your boat is
less than 8 years old).

She'll be free of both barnacles and bubbles in the gelcoat!

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 20:53:53 -0600, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

My kid, home for Christmas, had me weld up a barnacle scraper.
A long wood handle with a sharp steel blade. Does this seem like a
good idea to you? If not, how? and with what?

Thanks for clueing me in.

Brian W

Sure, got one. You need to have two. One long handle to operate from
the dock or dinghy and a shorter handled one to use when you dive down
and scrape the prop.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 05:59:37 +0000, Larry wrote:

Brian Whatcott wrote in
:

My kid, home for Christmas, had me weld up a barnacle scraper.
A long wood handle with a sharp steel blade. Does this seem like a
good idea to you? If not, how? and with what?

Thanks for clueing me in.

Brian W

That should get off the barnacles......along with the gelcoat and a few
layers of glass mat (or some plastic from the chopper gun if your boat is
less than 8 years old).

She'll be free of both barnacles and bubbles in the gelcoat!

Come on Larry, scrappers are used all over and don't bother the bottom
paint, say nothing of the gel coat.

Although, on second thought, he did say "sharp steel blade". I assumed
about 1/16th flat stuff for the blade, unsharpened. No need to sharpen
it like a razor.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Bruce In Bangkok wrote in
:

Although, on second thought, he did say "sharp steel blade". I assumed
about 1/16th flat stuff for the blade, unsharpened. No need to sharpen
it like a razor.
Cheers,

My visualization was of something resembling steel claws or pointy steel
teeth to dig into the barnacle pile to gouge them loose....(c;]

It always amazes me how people think of a boat hull as some kind of
really strong, nearly indestructable material you can scratch but can't
break. I think of them as more like a thick eggshell you can nearly
poke your finger through if you poke it in just the right place.
Reality is something in between there, I suspect, much more fragile than
the average passenger would like to know about.....headed out of the
harbor into the Atlantic.

The CORA (Charleston Offshore Racing Association) insists everyone have
a big diaphram manual bilge pump so my buddy Joe asked if I would
install one for him. I showed up with my little battery-powered drill
motor with a hole saw the appropriate size for the fitting to go in a
line of fittings about 6" below the toerail. "How are you going to put
a hole in it with that?", he quipped. I picked my spot, pressed the
center bit of the hole saw where I thought it should go and pulled the
trigger. 30 seconds later, I backed the thin little plug out of the saw
and handed it to him. "It's only this thick.", I mused. "There ain't
much to 'em.", I continued as his mouth hung open. "Hold this in the
hole until I get the nut on the inside, will ya?", as he was staring
through the big hole I'd just punched into his plastic boat. The hull
couldn't have been more than 3/8" thick, maybe 4 layers of mat at the
most. Those Whales can move quite a bit of water...probably more if
you're in a panic watching it get lower and lower in the ocean.

"Larry" wrote in message
Those Whales can move quite a bit of water...probably more if
you're in a panic watching it get lower and lower in the ocean.

Nothing removes water faster than a guy with a bucket and the proper
motivation. LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Dec 27, 6:53*pm, Brian Whatcott wrote:
My *kid, home for Christmas, had me weld up a barnacle scraper.
A long wood handle with a sharp steel blade. Does this seem like a
good idea to you? * If not, how? and with what?

Thanks for clueing me in.

Brian W

why do you "need" a barnical scraper?

I dont think ive ever heard of one.

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 12:08:25 -0800 (PST), Two meter troll
wrote:

why do you "need" a barnical scraper?

I dont think ive ever heard of one.

Do you boat in salt water ?

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message

My kid, home for Christmas, had me weld up a barnacle scraper.
A long wood handle with a sharp steel blade. Does this seem like a
good idea to you? If not, how? and with what?

Thanks for clueing me in.

Brian W

Duh! Ever hear of applying bottom paint in a timely manner? There is NEVER
any real need to scrape barnacles provided you re-new your anti-fouling
annually.

Here we go again! Another negligent boater who ask for assistance on a topic
that lends credence to my observation that few sailors have any pride these
days. Not only do they neglect their boats but they seem proud to let the
whole world know about it by advertising their sloth on Usenet as if it were
the norm.

And look at all the helpful folks who queue up to answer their questions in
a serious manner never once realizing how equally negligent it makes them
sound. Sheeesh! Where's your pride and professionalism, people?

Wilbur Hubbard

wrote:

why do you "need" a barnical scraper?

I dont think ive ever heard of one.

Do you boat in salt water ?

I do. In my area, not only have I seen a number of hand made long
handled barnacle/bottom scrapers to use from the dock, but I myself with
a mask/fins and hard plastic cutting board have dived my boat and
scraped the hull a few times. The cutting board worked great, but I
didn't have enough breath or the right tool to get the prop as clean as
I would have liked. Wire brushes, chisels, and scotch-brite wouldn't get
off the flat stuff adhering tightly to the metal.

This spring I'll probably break down and haul out though.

Stephen

Barnacle Help mgarvie Boat Building 6 January 21st 06 02:42 PM
Cabinet scraper [email protected] Boat Building 4 May 7th 05 03:46 PM
P*erago scraper tool Pete Fisher UK Paddle 0 January 19th 05 04:04 PM
P*erago scraper tool Pete Fisher UK Power Boats 0 January 19th 05 04:04 PM
(OT ) Dumb Dumb Dumb! (maybe he'll shoot himself in the foot) Jim General 19 June 8th 04 05:36 PM