posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

Default Zac is a cheater. I'm cheering for the British lad.

Young Zac has blown his chance to sail alone around the world. This from his
blog:

http://www.zacsunderland.com/blog/

"The shipping out there was so heavy - there was a constant stream of ships
coming in and out and 60 standing off the entrance. So I tacked out to about
two miles from the harbor and went hove-to. The guys from the yacht club
were having trouble finding me in the maze of lights so I turned on my
strobe. When they found me they threw me a line and a cold Coke and towed me
in. Now I was so tired coming in that I was falling asleep with the wind in
my face. I finally got docked about 4:30 in the morning and went over to
Phil's boat for a very light dinner.

No honor! Even Donald Crowhurst is probably spinning in his grave.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
Young Zac has blown his chance to sail alone around the world. This from his
blog:

http://www.zacsunderland.com/blog/

"The shipping out there was so heavy - there was a constant stream of ships
coming in and out and 60 standing off the entrance. So I tacked out to about
two miles from the harbor and went hove-to. The guys from the yacht club
were having trouble finding me in the maze of lights so I turned on my
strobe. When they found me they threw me a line and a cold Coke and towed me
in. Now I was so tired coming in that I was falling asleep with the wind in
my face. I finally got docked about 4:30 in the morning and went over to
Phil's boat for a very light dinner.

No honor! Even Donald Crowhurst is probably spinning in his grave.

Well, "the British lad" is currently been in Gran Canaria for days
trying to get one of his two autopilots repaired. His father won't let
him continue with only one autopilot. He has had plenty of other people
aboard so by your standards he's disqualified too.

Stephen

"Stephen Trapani" wrote in message
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
[...]

Not unless he's accepted a tow. You can't sail around the world alone if you
get towed part of the way. Having folks aboard in port doesn't disqualify
the sailing. It would be no different taking a tow than it would be taking a
crew to help you sail alone around the world.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
[...]

I think they are going on test runs with others aboard. Could be wrong.

It would be no different taking a tow than it would be taking a
crew to help you sail alone around the world.

What if the tow is taking you into port in a direction backward or
sideways from your continued journey around the globe? Or you go back to
the spot where you accepted the tow and continue from there on your own?

Stephen
posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

Someone should tow the Wilbur and all his sock puppets out to sea and
set him adrift!

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
Young Zac has blown his chance to sail alone around the world. This from his
blog:

http://www.zacsunderland.com/blog/

"The shipping out there was so heavy - there was a constant stream of ships
coming in and out and 60 standing off the entrance. So I tacked out to about
two miles from the harbor and went hove-to. The guys from the yacht club
were having trouble finding me in the maze of lights so I turned on my
strobe. When they found me they threw me a line and a cold Coke and towed me
in. Now I was so tired coming in that I was falling asleep with the wind in
my face. I finally got docked about 4:30 in the morning and went over to
Phil's boat for a very light dinner.

No honor! Even Donald Crowhurst is probably spinning in his grave.

Wilbur Hubbard

and the most demanding trip you have made is ?????
what do you expect of the guy die trying to get into port.
Zac is having a go at something many of us wish we could do, a short tow
into port is irrelavent, its like saying you cant pass someone your
lines at the dock
Get a life.
posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

"Drew" wrote in message
net...
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
[...]

Sorry, but Zac is now an admitted fraud and a cheater. Your opinion and low
standards don't matter a lick.

So your really think accepting a tow is irrelevant when sailing alone around
the world??? Well then, if he can be towed two miles into port then why not
five miles, or ten? A hundred, maybe? What if he gets becalmed in the middle
of an ocean? Can he allow himself to be craned aboard a freighter and ride
as deck cargo for 500 miles or until the winds pick back up? A thousand
miles? Where is the cut-off point?

What ever happened to people actually doing what they claim to be doing?
He's claiming to sail alone around the world. Never mind that he's already
cheating by sailing "by committee" with legions helping him with anything
and everything. He can't repair a boom himself. He has no mechanical
aptitude. He can't keep his motor running. He spends more time blabbing on
satellite telephones than a teenage girl. That's hardly sailing alone. But,
in a very strict sense it could be interpreted to mean he's the only one at
the helm of his boat and making his own way.

But even this loose interpretation all comes to a screeching halt the minute
he accepts a tow. Then, he's definitely NOT sailing alone around the world.
His boat is being TOWED for heaven's sake. Unless he makes his way ALL the
way around the world under his own power he has NOT sailed alone around the
world. And don't give me this crap that sailing into and out of port doesn't
count. It definitely DOES count as it's all part of the voyage around the
world. You can't snip a chunk out here and another chunk out there and
legitimately claim you have sailed alone around the world.

It saddens me that so many people like you have such low ethical standards
that you actually condone blatant and obvious cheating. Ask yourself why
you're like that. Is it because you are also a cheater in any life's
pursuit? Probably.

Wilbur Hubbard

Drew wrote:

and the most demanding trip you have made is ?????

Staggering his huge arse from the couch to the kitchen to fry up some
more Lard Lad junk food.
posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"Drew" wrote in message
net...
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
Young Zac has blown his chance to sail alone around the world. This from
his blog:

Sorry, but Zac is now an admitted fraud and a cheater. Your opinion and low
standards don't matter a lick.

to be accused of cheatimg or fraud he would not have admitted to
recieving the tow, he did not

[...]

so you have never asked for advice my what a clever person you must be

But even this loose interpretation all comes to a screeching halt the minute
he accepts a tow. Then, he's definitely NOT sailing alone around the world.
His boat is being TOWED for heaven's sake. Unless he makes his way ALL the
way around the world under his own power he has NOT sailed alone around the
world. And don't give me this crap that sailing into and out of port doesn't
count. It definitely DOES count as it's all part of the voyage around the
world. You can't snip a chunk out here and another chunk out there and
legitimately claim you have sailed alone around the world.

If you knew jack **** you would be aware that he must sail back past
where he will have picked up tow to continue thereby the milage "sailed
will still be completed
It saddens me that so many people like you have such low ethical standards
that you actually condone blatant and obvious cheating. Ask yourself why
you're like that. Is it because you are also a cheater in any life's
pursuit? Probably.

why must you belittle the efforts of these you adventurers, would you
prefer them to join street gangs and turn to crime.
I say again get a life

posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

"Drew" wrote in message
net...
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"Drew" wrote in message
net...
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
[...]

Spoken like a good liberal. There is a huge difference between effort and
accomplishment in case you've forgotten the obvious. I am not belittling
Zac's effort. I am belittling his accomplishment because, by accepting a
tow, his accomplishment is NOT what he's claiming it to be. He's a fraud and
a liar!

It's that simple. We realists still believe that accomplishment counts and
effort is something any old fool can direct or misdirect. Only when the
effort results in accomplishing the stated goal is effort worth anything.
Get it? Effort and failure is failure. Effort and success is success. In
other words effort has NO meaning as a stand alone process other than being
a starting point.

Wilbur Hubbard

British Laughingstock Bob Crantz ASA 0 April 22nd 07 03:57 PM
British Serenety MWB[_2_] Tall Ship Photos 1 April 10th 07 06:39 AM
Any British Rockhoppers Out There? Peter Kimberley General 2 September 21st 04 03:21 PM
need British Seagul help Gogarty Cruising 5 August 12th 04 11:51 AM
British flag Stef General 5 December 17th 03 10:19 PM