Bill

Default need British Seagul help

I got a VW piston and cylinder to come free by boiling in parts wash then
cooling and boiling and cooling with taps in between.
Outside, well ventilated ONLY!

Bill

"lupi" wrote in message
Hi from the pacific NW, usa, I apologize in advance for my lack of
nomenclature. I have a BS Silver Century with the piston badly rusted
in the cylinder. I can't understand how to get the lower end of the
piston assembly apart. I mean the whole thing that's part of the
steering handle and the coil etc. The ring of bolts all came out but I
don't understand how to drive or pull the shaft out so I can find the
wrist pin and get it down to where just the cylinder and piston will
fit in a press. Any help would be appreciated. No, you cannot tap this
loose with an oaken block. Thanks for your time and happy sailing.

Jack Squires

Hello from Macandrew Bay.

To get at the crankshaft you have to first remove the magneto base plate,
and then the cylinder block. If you can't remove the cylinder block at
least take out the four bolts that hold it in position. It sounds as if you
have already removed the five bolts securing the two halves of the crankcase
together so all that will be stopping the crankcase from separating is any
sealant (gasket goo etc) that has been put on the faces of the joint to stop
leaks. Try gently tapping round the joint with a soft hammer or block of
wood to release it. The top half should lift off.
Hope this helps,
Jack

Jack Squires

Hi again,
The top half of the case lifts off. The shaft then lifts
out of the bottom half of the case. There is nothing else on the shaft
holding the case together.

"lupi" wrote in message
Thanks, Jack
I do have the 5 bolts out and the case is kind of split about half
and inch but I think it's the shaft that's holding the whole thing
together. I can't see if gets driven out from one side or pulled out
from the other. I've boiled and croiled till I'm blue. Thanks again.
l.

Ian Malcolm

lupi wrote:
Thanks, Jack
I do have the 5 bolts out and the case is kind of split about half
and inch but I think it's the shaft that's holding the whole thing
together. I can't see if gets driven out from one side or pulled out
from the other. I've boiled and croiled till I'm blue. Thanks again.
l.
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 16:25:08 +1200, "Jack Squires"
wrote:

Hello from Macandrew Bay.

To get at the crankshaft you have to first remove the magneto base plate,
and then the cylinder block. If you can't remove the cylinder block at
least take out the four bolts that hold it in position. It sounds as if you
have already removed the five bolts securing the two halves of the crankcase
together so all that will be stopping the crankcase from separating is any
sealant (gasket goo etc) that has been put on the faces of the joint to stop
leaks. Try gently tapping round the joint with a soft hammer or block of
wood to release it. The top half should lift off.
Hope this helps,
Jack

You have removed the key from the keyway in the crankshaft taper
(flywheel end)? It could be hanging up on the top bearing.

ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Uffa Fox designed, All varnished hot
moulded wooden racing dinghy circa. 1961

Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
19yr-old British paddler dies on Crooked River, New Zealand Charlotte UK Paddle 1 March 31st 04 10:19 AM
The On-topic war, Part II, (very long) Gould 0738 General 4 September 28th 03 02:57 AM
British Army Collusion in Nelson Murder Bertie the Bunyip ASA 0 September 19th 03 05:16 AM
British versus American designs. Paul Stivers Touring 11 September 18th 03 12:13 PM