posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing
Stephen Trapani Stephen Trapani is offline

Default Zac is a cheater. I'm cheering for the British lad.

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"Stephen Trapani" wrote in message
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
Young Zac has blown his chance to sail alone around the world. This from
his blog:

http://www.zacsunderland.com/blog/

"The shipping out there was so heavy - there was a constant stream of
ships coming in and out and 60 standing off the entrance. So I tacked out
to about two miles from the harbor and went hove-to. The guys from the
yacht club were having trouble finding me in the maze of lights so I
turned on my strobe. When they found me they threw me a line and a cold
Coke and towed me in. Now I was so tired coming in that I was falling
asleep with the wind in my face. I finally got docked about 4:30 in the
morning and went over to Phil's boat for a very light dinner.

No honor! Even Donald Crowhurst is probably spinning in his grave.

Well, "the British lad" is currently been in Gran Canaria for days trying
to get one of his two autopilots repaired. His father won't let him
continue with only one autopilot. He has had plenty of other people aboard
so by your standards he's disqualified too.

Stephen

Not unless he's accepted a tow. You can't sail around the world alone if you
get towed part of the way. Having folks aboard in port doesn't disqualify
the sailing.

I think they are going on test runs with others aboard. Could be wrong.

It would be no different taking a tow than it would be taking a
crew to help you sail alone around the world.

What if the tow is taking you into port in a direction backward or
sideways from your continued journey around the globe? Or you go back to
the spot where you accepted the tow and continue from there on your own?

Stephen