Stef

Default British flag

Anyone explain to me why the British don't fly their union flag but fly the
red ensign instead?

Henry

Because the law says so.

Only the queen can fly the union flag on her boat/ship/yacht.

"Stef" wrote in message
Anyone explain to me why the British don't fly their union flag but fly

the
red ensign instead?

sailor99

The red is the navy flag.

Merry X-mas!
George

"Stef" skrev i en meddelelse
Anyone explain to me why the British don't fly their union flag but fly

the
red ensign instead?

Anders Gustafsson

There are three naval ensigns, Red, Blue and white. What ensign you
wear depends on what club you belong to. White is most prestigious,
followed by the blue and then the red.

Many navies have a history of different naval and national flags. The
Russian flag is a white/blue/red tricolour, but the naval is a cross or
St Andrew, blue on a white background.

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE, ASE
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
Using VA 5.50 build 311 on Windows 2000 build 2195

Chris

Basically there the red is the merchant navy and privet ships, the blue is
members of royal yacht clubs and some military boats and the white is the
royal navy and some very royal yacht clubs.

In short it is tradition going back hundreds of years and has nothing to do
with terrorists!

"sailor99" wrote in message
k...
The red is the navy flag.

Merry X-mas!
George

Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Single Handed Flag?? Steve Cruising 32 January 8th 04 05:06 PM
Which flag to fly ? Sven General 9 December 12th 03 11:02 PM
The On-topic war, Part II, (very long) Gould 0738 General 4 September 28th 03 02:57 AM