Steve

Default Single Handed Flag??

While discussing flag etiquette, it got me to thinking of the flags I still
need to find..

Looks like I'm going to be doing a lot of singlehanding, (no one wants to
sail with an 'ole fart')..

I know there is a semi official flag for singlehanding. Just a silhouette of
a hand in a circle, on a contrasting field... However the only one I
remember seeing was in a black and white photo..

Does anyone know where to purchase such a flag, ready made or the specific
details and color so I can make my own..

I assume that it is kinda like the 'battle ax' flag that evolved and became
the excepted standard..

As final note, I propose that anyone who flies the singlehanded flag be
excussed or exempt for all other flag etiquette/requirements.. Mainly
because he already has his hands full when entering and departing and
everyone should have a degree of pitty for his lonely situation. Same would
hold true if he happens to forget to take in his fenders, upon leaving the
dock.

Just my thoughts (suffering from 'cabin fever')

Steve
s/v Good Intentions (/w 6" snow on deck, but toastie warm below)

Wim

Hi Steve,
This flag may attract the "Pirates of the Caribbean"( see other post).
They would know you're alone, but necessarily not defenseless? ;-)
Happy New Year :-)
--
c ya Wim
www.cruising.ca/thousand/f-index.html

:
[...]

Armond Perretta

Steve wrote:

I know there is a semi official flag for singlehanding. Just a
silhouette of a hand in a circle, on a contrasting field... However
the only one I remember seeing was in a black and white photo..

I haven't bumped into this one. I _will_ say, however that single-handers
usually have little trouble recognizing each other in port. There's a level
of wariness and distrust (or is that seediness) that we seem to exude.

Does anyone know where to purchase such a flag, ready made or the
specific details and color so I can make my own.

I have had a number of specialty flags made by Christine Davis Flags in
Florida. They are probably somewhere on the Internet, but if you cannot
find it drop me a line.

As final note, I propose that anyone who flies the singlehanded
flag be excussed or exempt for all other flag etiquette/requirements.

Nope, you don't get my vote on this one, Steve. I have entered quite a few
foreign ports single-handed, and I cannot recall an instance where there
wasn't time enough to get the gear (including flags) ready to either anchor
or come alongside. My suggestion would be to just slow down and don't let
the situation, or the apparently helpful folks on the customs dock, dictate
your actions. Your first duty is to the safety of the ship.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Curtis CCR

Rufus wrote in message news:w2JJb.50799$I07.163474@attbi_s53...
Might also attract the CG, since single handing normally implies
breaking the rules about always having a lookout on deck.

What rules say you have to a "lookout on deck"?

Wim wrote:

Hi Steve,
This flag may attract the "Pirates of the Caribbean"( see other post).
They would know you're alone, but necessarily not defenseless? ;-)
Happy New Year :-)

Boating/Yacht Club Flag Size? Gould 0738 General 14 April 27th 04 07:45 AM
Flag etiquette Cheshire Cruising 40 January 4th 04 12:25 AM
Which flag to fly ? Sven General 9 December 13th 03 12:02 AM
Jetskier's Ðon ßailey General 21 August 5th 03 09:01 PM