posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

Default Zac is a cheater. I'm cheering for the British lad.

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

Spoken like a good liberal. There is a huge difference between effort and
accomplishment in case you've forgotten the obvious. I am not belittling
Zac's effort. I am belittling his accomplishment because, by accepting a
tow, his accomplishment is NOT what he's claiming it to be. He's a fraud
and a liar!

It's that simple. We realists still believe that accomplishment counts and
effort is something any old fool can direct or misdirect. Only when the
effort results in accomplishing the stated goal is effort worth anything.
Get it? Effort and failure is failure. Effort and success is success. In
other words effort has NO meaning as a stand alone process other than
being a starting point.

Wilbur Hubbard

Captain Joshua Slocum is credited as being the first man to sail solo around
the world. And yet he took passengers aboard for day outings during his
circumnavigation. Oh, my! He didn't really sail "solo" at all! Except that
he was careful to, if I recall correctly, return his guests to their point
of boarding before continuing his solo effort.

If Zac accepted a tow to get repairs, his effort will still count as an
accomplishment as long as he returns to the point where the tow began before
continuing his solo. It would only be terminated if he was attempting a
non-stop circumnavigation and had to stop for any reason.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

[...]

Good Lord, Karin! Talk about bankrupt logic. Using your logic, Zac might as
well sail to a starting point two miles off the coast from the California
marina where he started. Then he can be towed around the world back to that
very starting point then sail back in and he would then have sailed alone
around the world.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...
[...]

You missed my point. He would have to return to the point where he accepted
the tow and then continue around the world on his own.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

KLC Lewis wrote:

[About "Wilbur Hubbard"]

You missed my point.

No he didn't, he's just a pathetic trolling **** who doesn't have the
balls to sail a boat.

The problem for trolls is that give away too much about themselves,
their prejudices and their fears when they post. And by that it's easy
to see what pathetic nobodies they are.
posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...
[...]

All I did is reverse the tow and the sail making it ludicrously obvious that
unless one sails the whole way around the world one is not sailing around
the world. You can't snip out a chunk here and a chunk there of the voyage
and claim those chunks don't count. You haven't completed your voyage unless
and until you go the entire way by yourself under your own motive power.
This is so obvious. Only other cheaters and shirklaws would claim otherwise.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

[...]

Slocum had no motor. He actually sailed. Unlike the cheater Zac who has
motored hundreds, perhaps thousands of miles now, Slocum was an ethical
person. He believed in being honest and forthwright. Zac and his gaggle of
publicity stunt sychophants are *******izing the the very meaning of a solo
circumnavigation. Robin Know-Johnston, for example, would not take a tow
when in dire straits in New Zealand. He spent hours beating against wind and
current to get into a bay where he could anchor and affect repairs. He would
not even allow anybody on board to help him. He knew to do so would
invalidate the record he eventually won. The man had a moral compass. Zac
and his ilk have no such thing.

If Zac accepted a tow to get repairs, his effort will still count as an
accomplishment as long as he returns to the point where the tow began
before continuing his solo. It would only be terminated if he was
attempting a non-stop circumnavigation and had to stop for any reason.

Duh, if he hadn't been towed in for repairs the chances are he would have
had to abort the voyage? So he's cheating. Part of his voyage, instead of
being solo, was a group effort. He was TOWED. That part of the voyage where
he was towed cannot be counted. The gap between a waypoint, port and back to
the waypoint cannot be discounted. Stupid people trying to justify cheating
.. . . Shame on you.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

Slocum was an ethical person. He believed in being honest and forthwright.

So, you and he have nothing in common.

Steve Firth wrote:
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

Slocum was an ethical person. He believed in being honest and forthwright.

So, you and he have nothing in common.

Just curious, but is a "forthwright" someone who fabricates forths?

--AG
posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...
[...]

Methinks you are being deliberately obtuse. If one returns to the point at
which the tow began before continuing the voyage, there is no missing chunk.

Oh, and in Captain Slocum's day, an engine meant steam power. I think he
would have installed a diesel if they had been available in his era.

I'm done with this this one. Fire away if you wish.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

In article s.com,
lid says...

"Stephen Trapani" wrote in message
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
Young Zac has blown his chance to sail alone around the world. This from
his blog:

http://www.zacsunderland.com/blog/

"The shipping out there was so heavy - there was a constant stream of
ships coming in and out and 60 standing off the entrance. So I tacked out
to about two miles from the harbor and went hove-to. The guys from the
yacht club were having trouble finding me in the maze of lights so I
turned on my strobe. When they found me they threw me a line and a cold
Coke and towed me in. Now I was so tired coming in that I was falling
asleep with the wind in my face. I finally got docked about 4:30 in the
morning and went over to Phil's boat for a very light dinner.

No honor! Even Donald Crowhurst is probably spinning in his grave.

Well, "the British lad" is currently been in Gran Canaria for days trying
to get one of his two autopilots repaired. His father won't let him
continue with only one autopilot. He has had plenty of other people aboard
so by your standards he's disqualified too.

Stephen

Not unless he's accepted a tow. You can't sail around the world alone if you
get towed part of the way. Having folks aboard in port doesn't disqualify
the sailing. It would be no different taking a tow than it would be taking a
crew to help you sail alone around the world.

Well don't tell Knox-Johnston that.

--
Duncan

British Laughingstock Bob Crantz ASA 0 April 22nd 07 03:57 PM
British Serenety MWB[_2_] Tall Ship Photos 1 April 10th 07 06:39 AM
Any British Rockhoppers Out There? Peter Kimberley General 2 September 21st 04 03:21 PM
need British Seagul help Gogarty Cruising 5 August 12th 04 11:51 AM
British flag Stef General 5 December 17th 03 10:19 PM