Don

Default Problem with PSS shaft seal no pressure on bellows

Launched our boat this Saturday 32' Carver 357 with Merc 454s and V drives.
Checked bilge after the launch and every thing looked fine. Came back 3
hours latter and there was 9" of water in the bilge. The port PSS "dripless
shaft seal" was gushing.
The way these thing work is that a rubber bellows around the shaft that is
anchored and sealed to the boat forces a finely machined seal against a seal
on the Prop shaft.

When I got down into the bilge I found that the bellows was exerting very
little pressure on the shat seal. I tie wrapped the bellows seal tight to
the shaft seal and that stopped the water immediately. (Of course you can't
run the boat that way). I have left it to the yard to figure out the
problem.

Question has anyone using the PSS system had the problem?

PS these things have worked perfectly on our for 9 years

JayCeeCG

I think that your bellows might be due for replacement. PSS changed that part
as the old style bellows would take a "set" and not press the seal together as
they should.

Question has anyone using the PSS system had the problem?

PS these things have worked perfectly on our for 9 years

Jared Crane

Mark

That happened to me after 12 years - it takes a set - try moving the
bellows position to make it tighter - I used a big hose clamp on the
bellows for a year to apply pressure till I changed it next year - the
bellows was about $65 or so. I replaced the shaft and both bearings at
the same time - so it's good for another 12+ years.

On 24 May 2004 16:46:30 GMT, pamsuks (JayCeeCG)
wrote:

I think that your bellows might be due for replacement. PSS changed that part
as the old style bellows would take a "set" and not press the seal together as
they should.

Question has anyone using the PSS system had the problem?

PS these things have worked perfectly on our for 9 years

Jared Crane

Don

The yard said they were able to tighten the seal (I assume by adjusting the
the shaft seal) The boat is in the water and I would hope not to haul it
until the fall. But I will have both bellows done in the fall.

However until then - where did you put the hose clamp? How did you keep it
from pushing the bellows against the roatating shaft?

wrote:

I think that your bellows might be due for replacement. PSS changed

that part
as the old style bellows would take a "set" and not press the seal

together as
they should.

Question has anyone using the PSS system had the problem?

PS these things have worked perfectly on our for 9 years

Jared Crane

Mark

It went around one of the middle, large diameter bumps - for lack of
better words - tightened just enough to provide some squish out
pressure on the bellows, not enough to squeeze it down small enough to
contact the shaft.

On Mon, 24 May 2004 23:29:52 GMT, "Don" wrote:

The yard said they were able to tighten the seal (I assume by adjusting the
the shaft seal) The boat is in the water and I would hope not to haul it
until the fall. But I will have both bellows done in the fall.

However until then - where did you put the hose clamp? How did you keep it
from pushing the bellows against the roatating shaft?

.. .