Don

Default Problem with PSS shaft seal no pressure on bellows

Launched our boat this Saturday 32' Carver 357 with Merc 454s and V drives.
Checked bilge after the launch and every thing looked fine. Came back 3
hours latter and there was 9" of water in the bilge. The port PSS "dripless
shaft seal" was gushing.
The way these thing work is that a rubber bellows around the shaft that is
anchored and sealed to the boat forces a finely machined seal against a seal
on the Prop shaft.

When I got down into the bilge I found that the bellows was exerting very
little pressure on the shat seal. I tie wrapped the bellows seal tight to
the shaft seal and that stopped the water immediately. (Of course you can't
run the boat that way). I have left it to the yard to figure out the
problem.

Question has anyone using the PSS system had the problem?

PS these things have worked perfectly on our for 9 years