Default Need solar wisdom

Larry wrote in
:

Two meter troll wrote in news:76da5710-b02a-4508-
:

great you get to load your own spyware. notheing like stupidity to
get you new huristics.

EXACTLY which spyware are you referring to? Nothing has been
installed onto my system except the heavy-loading computational
system. It uses 21.4MB of hard drive space for data storage but
empties it when it goes into the report cycle. Looking at the file,
there's nothing about me in it at all and it's not encrypted, unless
you consider physics and chemistry cryptography in your world.

I'm running it wide open on a couple of dual core Intel machines and
there's plenty of CPU left to watch Livestation streaming, type this
nonsense to you and download more movies from alt.binaries.movies.divx
to play on my Nokia Linux tablets.

It also doesn't upset my movie viewing on the same machines. It only
uses internet bandwidth about once ever 28 hours of number crunching
to get the next job from the server and to upload the report of the
last job, about 30 seconds, tops. The current job has been running
full bore for 26 hours and has about an hour and a half left before it
uploads its findings and starts the job it got this afternoon.

If you know of any spyware, I'd be happy to investigate it.....

GOOD GRIEF! "Love Cypress" commercial just came across Euronews and
after seeing the thong-clad model walking through the Mediterranean
white sand beach, I'M READY TO GO!.....How DOES she keep from falling
over on her face?? It defies Physics!

You'll actually find out that this is based upon the BOINC platform,
which supports many different distributed computing projects. It
actually grew out of the SETI (Search for ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence)
project which was started in the mid-90s, which was when I started using
it.

You can find info on BOINC at
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

There are currently 319,060 active contributors running this on 567,770
computers producing 1,441 Terraflops per hour! I personally have
contributed almost 27,000 hours of computing time, which places me at
the 96% percentile of BOINC contributors and 94% in the US.

http://boincstats.com/stats/boinc_us...de39e8f890005a
30e5de9dfd848a929

Just note that running this does cause your computer to use a lot more
power. On board my laptop draws ~2A @12V when just running, but draws
close to 8A when running BOINC.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Geoff Schultz wrote in
:

Just note that running this does cause your computer to use a lot more
power. On board my laptop draws ~2A @12V when just running, but draws
close to 8A when running BOINC.

The fan runs faster in my tower Windows box. The box gets warmer, but not
alarmingly so...thanks.

I was a SETI supporter a long time ago, but my systems were so slow it just
trashed them so I had to drop out.

Dave wrote:
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 04:31:23 +0000, Larry said:

EXACTLY which spyware are you referring to?

When children hear a new word they love to use it, even if they don't know
what it means. Perhaps Gordon never lost that urge.

Huh?
Gordon

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
.. .
Larry wrote in
:

[...]

Hey Geoff and Larry
Just 'earned' my first points.
hoges in wa

"Hoges in WA" wrote in news:4lN1l.2364$cu.1914
@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

Hey Geoff and Larry
Just 'earned' my first points.
hoges in wa

Cool! I'm up to 2400 tonight.

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 15:58:28 -0500, Jeff wrote:

Gordon wrote:
Gordon wrote:

I am going to install a solar panel with charge controller but with
2 battery banks, it seems I have to use a duo controller so I feed
each bank separately. If I hook a single controller downstream of the
selector switch, the switch would have to always be in the both
position, which is not desirable.
What say you all?
The price difference between a single and a duo is $45 vs $169.
Gordon

After a ton of research, I've come to the conclusion that solar on a
sailboat is nearly worthless unless you can mount huge arrays pointing
all different directions with multiple controllers.
That said, the new tech stuff coming down the road may prove somewhat
effective.
Gordon

My long time liveaboard friends (28 years, mostly at anchor, migrating
mostly between NC and NS) have the opposite opinion. Although they have
wind and engine charging, they say the solar is the mainstay of their
system.

I don't understand the "pointing in all directions" comment - it isn't
that hard to keep panels roughly sunward if you're on board and you have
some adjustment capability. My panels are fixed horizontally, but I
figure that costs less than half the potential with no effort. In fact,
near noon on the summer solstice a horizontal panel collects roughly 90%
of the available energy, and the Sun only has to be up 30 degrees to
make panels 50% effective. My plan for the future (which seems to be
perpetually delayed) is to add large adjustable panels on my davits
which would double my generation, even more if I adjust frequently.

Admittedly I am in the "bright sun" zone but nearly all the cruising
boats I see have solar panel arrays. Usually 3 to 4 panels, and
usually mounted horizontally with no regard to the direction of the
sun. the main worry seems to mount them in such a manner that shadows
do not fall across them.

Several people have told me that they normally use no other source of
power.

Regarding regulators you only need one if the panels can get your
battery voltage above 13.4 volts. If you panels are old or undersize
(like mine) you don't need the regulator at all.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Larry wrote in
:

"Hoges in WA" wrote in
news:4lN1l.2364$cu.1914 @news-server.bigpond.net.au:

Hey Geoff and Larry
Just 'earned' my first points.
hoges in wa

Cool! I'm up to 2400 tonight.

Keep chuggin!

-- Geoff (220,000)

Gordon wrote:
Gordon wrote:

[...]

What do you expect when you've been sitting at that dock for thirty some odd
years now? Just like everything else about your boat they are old, tired
and stuck in place.

Wilbur Hubbard

Geoff Schultz wrote in
:

220,000

Groan....(c;

You're right about the power it eats. The box actually gets warm running
BOINC.

Conventional wisdom [email protected] Cruising 27 June 14th 08 04:40 AM
Words of Wisdom from Andy Rooney katy ASA 6 January 22nd 07 02:33 PM
Wisdom and Truth Bluto ASA 11 March 31st 06 07:19 PM
Bob's Gems of Sailing Wisdom Capt. Mooron ASA 2 September 1st 03 04:43 PM