Default Need solar wisdom

I am going to install a solar panel with charge controller but with 2
battery banks, it seems I have to use a duo controller so I feed each
bank separately. If I hook a single controller downstream of the
selector switch, the switch would have to always be in the both
position, which is not desirable.
What say you all?
The price difference between a single and a duo is $45 vs $169.
Gordon

Gordon wrote:

I am going to install a solar panel with charge controller but with 2
battery banks, it seems I have to use a duo controller so I feed each
bank separately. If I hook a single controller downstream of the
selector switch, the switch would have to always be in the both
position, which is not desirable.
What say you all?
The price difference between a single and a duo is $45 vs $169.
Gordon

Two singles for complete redundency and isolation.

But you had already figured that out, right?

Gordon wrote:

I am going to install a solar panel with charge controller but with 2
battery banks, it seems I have to use a duo controller so I feed each
bank separately. If I hook a single controller downstream of the
selector switch, the switch would have to always be in the both
position, which is not desirable.
What say you all?
The price difference between a single and a duo is $45 vs $169.
Gordon

After a ton of research, I've come to the conclusion that solar on a
sailboat is nearly worthless unless you can mount huge arrays pointing
all different directions with multiple controllers.
That said, the new tech stuff coming down the road may prove somewhat
effective.
Gordon

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 22:49:07 +0000, Gordon wrote:

Gordon wrote:

I am going to install a solar panel with charge controller but with 2
battery banks, it seems I have to use a duo controller so I feed each
bank separately. If I hook a single controller downstream of the
selector switch, the switch would have to always be in the both
position, which is not desirable.
What say you all?
The price difference between a single and a duo is $45 vs $169.
Gordon

After a ton of research, I've come to the conclusion that solar on a
sailboat is nearly worthless unless you can mount huge arrays pointing
all different directions with multiple controllers.
That said, the new tech stuff coming down the road may prove somewhat
effective.
Gordon

There are many who would probably disagree with your conclusion. It
probably depends more upon what you need power for, and how you use
your boat. Solar panels are generally just part of the charging
system, not a complete solution by itself. It sure can reduce engine
run time, though!

What kind of boat do you have? Do you live aboard? Only sail on
weekends? Cruise for extended periods? Do you have refrigeration or
other big energy needs?

Gordon wrote in
m:

That said, the new tech stuff coming down the road may prove

somewhat
effective.
Gordon

To that end, in benefit of the cruising community when, not if, they
find it, I'd like to put in a plug for you all to join the world network
of massive computer processing sorting through massive molecules for the
answer to a better solar array for everyone:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-10114306-54.html

Go to he
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
click DOWNLOAD NOW and it installs itself on Windows machines. Then,
just leave it run 24/7 using CPU cycles you have no use for with a very
brief data download/upload to the IBM/Harvard mainframe every 12-14
hours to report the last job and get the next one. I've been running it
5 days and it doesn't even cause my TV streaming to balk. It DOES use a
LOT of CPU computing resources, but you have lots more of them than
you'll ever need while waiting for the internet, ZZZZZZ and disk drives
ZZZzzzzZZZzzzzZZZ to access.

There's some kind of prize or braggin' rights, but I don't care about
that. What I'd like is an open source solar cell array to replace South
Carolina Electric and Gouge's meter, some day....(c;]

give it a go....your cost is almost zero.

On Dec 11, 5:42*pm, Larry wrote:

[...]

great you get to load your own spyware. notheing like stupidity to get
you new huristics.

Gordon wrote:
Gordon wrote:

I am going to install a solar panel with charge controller but with
2 battery banks, it seems I have to use a duo controller so I feed
each bank separately. If I hook a single controller downstream of the
selector switch, the switch would have to always be in the both
position, which is not desirable.
What say you all?
The price difference between a single and a duo is $45 vs $169.
Gordon

After a ton of research, I've come to the conclusion that solar on a
sailboat is nearly worthless unless you can mount huge arrays pointing
all different directions with multiple controllers.
That said, the new tech stuff coming down the road may prove somewhat
effective.
Gordon

My long time liveaboard friends (28 years, mostly at anchor, migrating
mostly between NC and NS) have the opposite opinion. Although they have
wind and engine charging, they say the solar is the mainstay of their
system.

I don't understand the "pointing in all directions" comment - it isn't
that hard to keep panels roughly sunward if you're on board and you have
some adjustment capability. My panels are fixed horizontally, but I
figure that costs less than half the potential with no effort. In fact,
near noon on the summer solstice a horizontal panel collects roughly 90%
of the available energy, and the Sun only has to be up 30 degrees to
make panels 50% effective. My plan for the future (which seems to be
perpetually delayed) is to add large adjustable panels on my davits
which would double my generation, even more if I adjust frequently.

Two meter troll wrote in news:76da5710-b02a-4508-
:

great you get to load your own spyware. notheing like stupidity to get
you new huristics.

EXACTLY which spyware are you referring to? Nothing has been installed
onto my system except the heavy-loading computational system. It uses
21.4MB of hard drive space for data storage but empties it when it goes
into the report cycle. Looking at the file, there's nothing about me in
it at all and it's not encrypted, unless you consider physics and
chemistry cryptography in your world.

I'm running it wide open on a couple of dual core Intel machines and
there's plenty of CPU left to watch Livestation streaming, type this
nonsense to you and download more movies from alt.binaries.movies.divx
to play on my Nokia Linux tablets.

It also doesn't upset my movie viewing on the same machines. It only
uses internet bandwidth about once ever 28 hours of number crunching to
get the next job from the server and to upload the report of the last
job, about 30 seconds, tops. The current job has been running full bore
for 26 hours and has about an hour and a half left before it uploads its
findings and starts the job it got this afternoon.

If you know of any spyware, I'd be happy to investigate it.....

GOOD GRIEF! "Love Cypress" commercial just came across Euronews and
after seeing the thong-clad model walking through the Mediterranean
white sand beach, I'M READY TO GO!.....How DOES she keep from falling
over on her face?? It defies Physics!

"snipped

It also doesn't upset my movie viewing on the same machines. It only
uses internet bandwidth about once ever 28 hours of number crunching to
get the next job from the server and to upload the report of the last
job, about 30 seconds, tops. The current job has been running full bore
for 26 hours and has about an hour and a half left before it uploads its
findings and starts the job it got this afternoon.

If you know of any spyware, I'd be happy to investigate it.....

GOOD GRIEF! "Love Cypress" commercial just came across Euronews and
after seeing the thong-clad model walking through the Mediterranean
white sand beach, I'M READY TO GO!.....How DOES she keep from falling
over on her face?? It defies Physics!

Larry
Just went and had a look at the site you quoted.
Looks interesting - I think I've heard of it but not in that detail.
Joined up also and downloaded the stuff.

Hoges in WA
(now post a copy of the ad!!!!!!)

Conventional wisdom [email protected] Cruising 27 June 14th 08 04:40 AM
Words of Wisdom from Andy Rooney katy ASA 6 January 22nd 07 02:33 PM
Wisdom and Truth Bluto ASA 11 March 31st 06 07:19 PM
Bob's Gems of Sailing Wisdom Capt. Mooron ASA 2 September 1st 03 04:43 PM