Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] is offline

Default Need solar wisdom

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 15:58:28 -0500, Jeff wrote:

Gordon wrote:
Gordon wrote:

I am going to install a solar panel with charge controller but with
2 battery banks, it seems I have to use a duo controller so I feed
each bank separately. If I hook a single controller downstream of the
selector switch, the switch would have to always be in the both
position, which is not desirable.
What say you all?
The price difference between a single and a duo is $45 vs $169.
Gordon

After a ton of research, I've come to the conclusion that solar on a
sailboat is nearly worthless unless you can mount huge arrays pointing
all different directions with multiple controllers.
That said, the new tech stuff coming down the road may prove somewhat
effective.
Gordon

My long time liveaboard friends (28 years, mostly at anchor, migrating
mostly between NC and NS) have the opposite opinion. Although they have
wind and engine charging, they say the solar is the mainstay of their
system.

I don't understand the "pointing in all directions" comment - it isn't
that hard to keep panels roughly sunward if you're on board and you have
some adjustment capability. My panels are fixed horizontally, but I
figure that costs less than half the potential with no effort. In fact,
near noon on the summer solstice a horizontal panel collects roughly 90%
of the available energy, and the Sun only has to be up 30 degrees to
make panels 50% effective. My plan for the future (which seems to be
perpetually delayed) is to add large adjustable panels on my davits
which would double my generation, even more if I adjust frequently.

Admittedly I am in the "bright sun" zone but nearly all the cruising
boats I see have solar panel arrays. Usually 3 to 4 panels, and
usually mounted horizontally with no regard to the direction of the
sun. the main worry seems to mount them in such a manner that shadows
do not fall across them.

Several people have told me that they normally use no other source of
power.

Regarding regulators you only need one if the panels can get your
battery voltage above 13.4 volts. If you panels are old or undersize
(like mine) you don't need the regulator at all.

What do you expect when you've been sitting at that dock for thirty some odd
years now? Just like everything else about your boat they are old, tired
and stuck in place.

Wilbur Hubbard