Default Lavac marine head

"Jere Lull" wrote in message
news:2008111812290743658-jerelull@maccom...
On 2008-11-17 14:52:51 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
said:

Easy to keep clean. Multi-purpose - can also be used as a bale bucket in
case of a leak, dishes can be washed in it, bait can be kept in it, good
for washing your hair, etc. - the uses are endless.

That would be "bail", not "bale"....

And the idea of using it for your other intended purposes is so gross and
disgusting.

At least have a few of them, color-coded as to purpose.

Let's examine your fetish which is highly irrational.

Take your kitchen sink, for example. Some uses of a kitchen sink include the
following:

washing dishes,
cleaning vegetables,
peeling potatoes
washing your hands
washing your hair
washing your feet
brushing your teeth
dumping garbage in to be ground up by the garbage disposal
washing your dog (small)
pre-washing cloth diapers

Now please tell me why you don't have a different kitchen sink for every
different use?

Wilbur Hubbard

On 2008-11-17 09:31:44 -0500, Peggie Hall said:

The Lavac has long been a favorite of live-aboard blue water cruisers for
decades...and In the days when most of the people here were live-aboard
cruisers, you'd prob'ly have been the last person here to discover it.

I'm responding solely to express my gratitude that you're still listening
in.

It's so great to hear from someone who knows her "stuff".

(says someone who switched to the Cricket as a cheaper Lavac. Love it, but
it has a limited audience, so has been discontinued and I believe we may
have the last rebuild kit made.)

Some folks are "stuck on stupid" and some people are stuck on "anal
retentive." Those in the latter category are the fools who worship Peggie
Hall. She is a disgrace to the family name. A whole life that revolves
around human waste is a wasted life. But, I suppose every family has its
black sheep.

Gregory Hall

Larry wrote:
Boeland wrote in news:4921bc34$0$14489$5fc30a8
@news.tiscali.it:

Can a vacuum release be added to let the air in the bowl?

I don't understand this vacuum problem. Just pull on the cover and it
bends to leak air into the bowl. It's no problem at all on the one I used.
It's not like it's sucked flat and noone can open it. There's a hissing
sound when you pull on it and the vacuum is released. The idea of LEAVING
IT SEALED is WELL worth any trouble opening it......THERE's NO SMELL AT ALL
IF ITS SEALED SHUT!

There's also no "seawater smell" wafting up when water is left in it, even
shut with no vacuum on it....that's great, too!

The issue is that a considerable vacuum is created while pumping. There
should be a pinhole in an intake line loop to serve as a anti-siphon
vacuum break. This also bleeds off the vacuum in the bowl, and allows
the bowl to fill after pumping, but how fast this happens depends on how
far the bowl is from the loop and the size of the hole. With no
pinhole, it can be impossible for someone unfamiliar with the system to
open it; as I said I can usually pry mine pretty easily but my kid can't
do it within 10 minutes of a pump.

In article , Jeff wrote:
The issue is that a considerable vacuum is created while pumping. There
should be a pinhole in an intake line loop to serve as a anti-siphon
vacuum break. This also bleeds off the vacuum in the bowl, and allows
the bowl to fill after pumping, but how fast this happens depends on how
far the bowl is from the loop and the size of the hole. With no
pinhole, it can be impossible for someone unfamiliar with the system to
open it; as I said I can usually pry mine pretty easily but my kid can't
do it within 10 minutes of a pump.

Has no-one thought of a something like a pressure-cooker sprung valve in
the lid - only in reverse? Just press to let air in and break the seal.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

On 2008-11-18 13:40:21 -0500, "Gregory Hall" said:

Let's examine your fetish which is highly irrational.

Take your kitchen sink, for example. Some uses of a kitchen sink include the
following:

washing dishes,
cleaning vegetables,
peeling potatoes

Kitchen sink.

washing your hands
brushing your teeth

Bathroom sink

dumping garbage in to be ground up by the garbage disposal

The garbage pail.

washing your hair
washing your feet
washing your dog (small)

Bath tub

pre-washing cloth diapers

Wouldn't know, but have seen some use the toilet.

Now please tell me why you don't have a different kitchen sink for every
different use?

But we DO have different tools for different jobs and none of our
"sinks" take the place of a Lavac.

--
Jere Lull

Justin C wrote:
In article , Jeff wrote:
The issue is that a considerable vacuum is created while pumping. There
should be a pinhole in an intake line loop to serve as a anti-siphon
vacuum break. This also bleeds off the vacuum in the bowl, and allows
the bowl to fill after pumping, but how fast this happens depends on how
far the bowl is from the loop and the size of the hole. With no
pinhole, it can be impossible for someone unfamiliar with the system to
open it; as I said I can usually pry mine pretty easily but my kid can't
do it within 10 minutes of a pump.

Has no-one thought of a something like a pressure-cooker sprung valve in
the lid - only in reverse? Just press to let air in and break the seal.

Justin.

I think about putting a little valve in the intake line, but I've never
found quite the right item.

In article , Jeff wrote:
Justin C wrote:
In article , Jeff wrote:
The issue is that a considerable vacuum is created while pumping. There
should be a pinhole in an intake line loop to serve as a anti-siphon
vacuum break. This also bleeds off the vacuum in the bowl, and allows
the bowl to fill after pumping, but how fast this happens depends on how
far the bowl is from the loop and the size of the hole. With no
pinhole, it can be impossible for someone unfamiliar with the system to
open it; as I said I can usually pry mine pretty easily but my kid can't
do it within 10 minutes of a pump.

Has no-one thought of a something like a pressure-cooker sprung valve in
the lid - only in reverse? Just press to let air in and break the seal.

Justin.

I think about putting a little valve in the intake line, but I've never
found quite the right item.

A bung?

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

On Nov 17, 4:29*pm, Jeff wrote:
The pin hole does not necessarily do the trick - it depends on the
geometry. *On my setup it takes several minutes to release by itself. *I
can pry it with my fingertips after about 15 seconds, but my daughter
can't do it.

Right, it is important that the pin hole is at the top of the intake
line and that the intake is set-up so no water can collect between the
pin hole and the head. If you have a sag in the intake line between
the pin hole and the head it will negate the pin hole and you'll have
to wait for the air to leak into the head through the water and seat
seals. That seems to take minutes. With a proper set-up you you
should be able to open the lid in 15 ish seconds.

FWIW, I met a guy who had taken a regular home toilet and converted it
to a Lavac like system by making a top that could be sealed down when
the toilet seat was up. Seemed to work like a charm.

Sorry for the hurried reply. We're in Ensenada, Mexico and I'm paying
for 'net time.

Cheers to the group,

--Tom.

Hey! Glad all is well... trip report?