Pekka Huhta

Default An old marine toilet head

I just "happened" to buy all of the tools and equipment of a boatbuilding
shop (And yes, I'm bragging about it whenever I can)

One of the gems that was found in the pile was an old marine head "A.B.
Sands&Sons Co. New York".

A few images:
http://www.liukuma.net/phuhta/Pb110047.jpg
http://www.liukuma.net/phuhta/Pb110046.jpg

What can you tell about it? There is a lid for the head as well, split but
repairable. I am dreaming of putting that one for the future "dreamboat of
mine", but as it probably takes fifteen years to go, I'm not sure wether I
would keep it or not.

What might be the value of the head? What's the history of the company?

Pekka
--
http://www.puuvene.net/
Steve

Congradulations on your purchase of the boat building tools and equipment.

That said, I can't tell you much about your old head other han it was most
likely built/designed before the requirement for holding tanks (or sewage
treatment). This head will most likely use more flushing water and fill
your holding tank much faster than the modern marine head.

I'm using an old (pre-holding tank) Groco, all bronze model myself and have
noted that it uses about a half gallon of flushing water on each flush. Not
good with a small holding tank. If I try to restrict the flush volume too
much, it becomes difficult to pump on the flush portion of the pump stroke.

My opinion and experience, FWIW.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Stephen Baker

The only reference I have found is frm an auction sale in Thomaston, ME, in
2001:

"SHIP CAPTAINS SINK - MAHOGANY FRAMED, WHITE PORCELAIN BOWL INSERT, BRUSHED
ALUMINUM FIXTURES & HARDWARE, MANUFACTURED BY A. B. SANDS & SON CO., MARINE
PLUMBING SUPPLIES, 20 1/2"H X 19 1/2"W X 4 1/2"D, CONDITION: MINOR RIM CHIP TO
BOWL, OXIDATION ON HARDWARE, FINISH FLAKED DOWN TO NATURAL WOOD
"

Selling price was $550.

Steve
Peggie Hall

Pekka Huhta wrote:
I just "happened" to buy all of the tools and equipment of a boatbuilding
shop (And yes, I'm bragging about it whenever I can)

One of the gems that was found in the pile was an old marine head "A.B.
Sands&Sons Co. New York".
What might be the value of the head? What's the history of the company?

AB Sands is more likely to be the bowl mfr...marine toilet mfrs don't
make bowls .they buy 'em from potteries that do (and who also make the
seats/lids...and those potteries do put their names on 'em, leading a
lot of new owners of used boats to think the bowl brand name is the
toilet brand.

The oldest US marine toilet mfr is Wilcox-Crittenden...and it appears to
me to be one of their early models on which someone has used copper pipe
for the flush water intake line and replaced the original discharge
fitting with a stainless elbow. I've forwarded your post with the photos
to someone at W-C who's been around long enough to know if I'm right.

Antique marine toilets don't really have any collectable or antique
value...so the only value the toilet might have is its scrap metal
value, and whatever admiration from other classic boat restorers would
have for it IF you can restore it...which may cost more than whole
toilet cost cost originally.

--
Peggie
----------

Pekka Huhta

Peggie Hall writes:
AB Sands is more likely to be the bowl mfr...marine toilet mfrs don't
make bowls .they buy 'em from potteries that do (and who also make the
seats/lids...and those potteries do put their names on 'em, leading a
lot of new owners of used boats to think the bowl brand name is the
toilet brand.

Probably it will be best if I check the markings on the bronze castings
and return after that. All the seals and valves have been checked and
replaced where necessary so it's on perfect operating condition.

Antique marine toilets don't really have any collectable or antique
value...so the only value the toilet might have is its scrap metal
value, and whatever admiration from other classic boat restorers would
have for it IF you can restore it...which may cost more than whole
toilet cost cost originally.

That much of bronze, useless? No way

Apparently these toilets use a LOT of water, I guess? Is there any other
reason for scrapping a beauty like that? If I somehow manage to get that
dreamboat of mien built, I definitely will have space for a little larger
septic tank anyway.

Actually it's fully operating anf the seals are all been renewed, only the
lid has to be glued together and re-finished.

Thanks, Peggie, again for your knowledge and care. If you hear anything
from Wilcox, please let me know.

Pekka

--
http://www.puuvene.net/

Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Recommendation for New Marine Head Drumm Law Cruising 10 April 13th 04 04:14 PM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM
paradise cove trip Brien Alkire ASA 31 February 15th 04 11:17 PM
The same people Simple Simon ASA 28 July 23rd 03 03:20 PM