Default Lavac marine head

"Gordon" wrote in message
m...
Boeland wrote:
Dennis Pogson wrote:

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

"Larry" wrote in message
http://www.lavac.com/

I found the website of the really great marine head installed on a
racing trimaran that's visiting Charleston this week. After
struggling
with those cheap plastic crappers from Waste Marine all clogging and
sticking plastic valves and the damned pumps that you have to keep
greased....THAT STINK....

If you've never seen this toilet, or used it, or flushed it, look out
for it....

The model installed on this spartan trimaran is the simplest thing
I've
ever seen. The seawater seacock through the hull is right behind it
and
there is a water loop with an anti-siphon U in the top of it because
in
this boat the toilet is far below the waterline and would flood the
hull
otherwise. There's NO PUMP, NO PARTS, NOTHING MOVING in the head,
itself! The head is simply plumbed with plastic bilge pump hose to a
regular Whale diaphram bilge pump surface mounted high on the bulkhead
behind and to the side of it so you don't bump your head while seated.
The outlet of the pump goes into the Y-valve to select sanitary
tankage
or overboard discharge. After the pump, it's the same old sewer
system
any boat has....way too small to hold much for long.

You have two choices to flush....

Leave the seat OPEN and it merely pumps out whatever's in the bowl
until
it sucks air....LOTS OF AIR! That diaphram pump isn't that crappy
little plastic pump on the head you have now...and it works SO EASY
WITH
SUCH A SHORT LIFTING HOSE...ABOUT 3' so the pump is ABOVE the
waterline
and can't backfill the boat if one of its valves is stuck open. If
you
want to use up your fresh water to flush with the shower head, this
allows it just fine.

Leave the seat CLOSED and it's a full-blown, self-flushing vacuum
toilet
because the seat seals to the toilet and the lid seals to the seat
VERY
TIGHTLY WITH A SOFT PLASTIC SEAL ON BOTH ON THE BOTTOMS. You hear a
sound that sounds like one of those tankless gas station toilets
flushing when you pull the big handle on the 1" water line that feeds
them! This puppy flushes HARD on that much vacuum from the Whale
pump!

Running on 1 atmosphere of PRESSURE, 14 PSI, I don't think ANYTHING
that
can be sucked down that tube could EVER clog it up!

Now the important part......IT SAYS SUCKED SHUT VERY TIGHTLY AFTER THE
FLUSHING STOPS! The suction comes from an intake valve that won't let
the toilet flow go backwards towards the seacock. As this valve,
which
must be a simple flapper, is on the seawater side, nothing in the
toilet
will clog it up and with this much pressure I cannot imagine anything
from the sea stopping it from opening.

To flush you need only close the lid and make TWO pumps on the Whale.
Now SEALED, the toilet CANNOT SMELL UP THE BOAT! God, where was this
when I used to have to stand watch downwind from the stinky heads in
cruising boats?!

Way too much trouble and expense when the following does the job better
in every way:

http://store.vernondeon.com/index.ph...&ID=17&PID=428

Only $8.95 plus shipping.

Wilbur Hubbard
We can buy 'em for 99p in the uk. That's probably what the vendor on
this website pays for them. We're in the wrong business!

Dennis.

Send me a dozen, heck a gross.
Thanks,

It'll be gross when ole willy is done!

It's the cat's meow. Note the smooth, strong, extra-width rim, note the
under-rim bail, note the bail is stainless steel meaning no unsightly rust
stains in the cockpit where the bucket resides. It's got everything one
needs. Only one moving part. Easy to keep clean. Multi-purpose - can also be
used as a bale bucket in case of a leak, dishes can be washed in it, bait
can be kept in it, good for washing your hair, etc. - the uses are endless.

Wilbur Hubbard

Boeland wrote in news:4921bc34$0$14489$5fc30a8
@news.tiscali.it:

Can a vacuum release be added to let the air in the bowl?

I don't understand this vacuum problem. Just pull on the cover and it
bends to leak air into the bowl. It's no problem at all on the one I used.
It's not like it's sucked flat and noone can open it. There's a hissing
sound when you pull on it and the vacuum is released. The idea of LEAVING
IT SEALED is WELL worth any trouble opening it......THERE's NO SMELL AT ALL
IF ITS SEALED SHUT!

There's also no "seawater smell" wafting up when water is left in it, even
shut with no vacuum on it....that's great, too!

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Larry" wrote:

I found the website of the really great marine head installed on a
racing trimaran that's visiting Charleston this week.

Your basic Lavac from Blakes in the UK.

Available in US from Defenders and Brendens Isle, in Florida, started
by Tom O'mera many years ago.

Uses basic Henerson MKV pump (Waste waater version of Whale 10).

Small pin hole in incoming vacuum line eliminates "stuck seat" problem
after using. (Design per Tom O.)

Next question.

The pin hole does not necessarily do the trick - it depends on the
geometry. On my setup it takes several minutes to release by itself. I
can pry it with my fingertips after about 15 seconds, but my daughter
can't do it.

"Jeff" wrote:

The pin hole does not necessarily do the trick - it depends on the
geometry.

Don't remember the specifics, only the pin hole was req'd.

Alternate is to use potable water from shower wand and leave lid up
till pumped dry.

Lew.

The Lavac has never become very popular in the US among
"weekend warriors" for two reasons: very limited parts availability and
price--$350-$400 depending on the rate of exchange...

Got mine at a boat jumble in Netherlands for 10 euros - but I have
changed the seals. On my vessel suction pipe takes water from a small
domestic cistern fed from the cold water. Also have two Lavac pinhole
valves to fit to suction line, but have not yet got round to fitting
them.

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

Only if you pay for the air freight!

Dennis

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:52:51 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Multi-purpose - can also be
used as a bale bucket in case of a leak, dishes can be washed in it, bait
can be kept in it, good for washing your hair, etc. - the uses are endless.

Wilbur Hubbard

Don't get the brown bucket mixed up with the white one.

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:40:23 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Way too much trouble and expense when the following does the job better in
every way:

http://store.vernondeon.com/index.ph...&ID=17&PID=428

Only $8.95 plus shipping.

Walmart has them with graduations and a pouring spout. Doesn't cost
significally more to make them that way.

Casady

On 2008-11-17 09:31:44 -0500, Peggie Hall said:

The Lavac has long been a favorite of live-aboard blue water cruisers
for decades...and In the days when most of the people here were
live-aboard cruisers, you'd prob'ly have been the last person here to
discover it.

I'm responding solely to express my gratitude that you're still listening in.

It's so great to hear from someone who knows her "stuff".

(says someone who switched to the Cricket as a cheaper Lavac. Love it,
but it has a limited audience, so has been discontinued and I believe
we may have the last rebuild kit made.)

--
Jere Lull

On 2008-11-17 14:52:51 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
said:

Easy to keep clean. Multi-purpose - can also be used as a bale bucket
in case of a leak, dishes can be washed in it, bait can be kept in it,
good for washing your hair, etc. - the uses are endless.

That would be "bail", not "bale"....

And the idea of using it for your other intended purposes is so gross
and disgusting.

At least have a few of them, color-coded as to purpose.

--
Jere Lull