posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,rec.boats.building

Default Remote Battery Filling System

Here's a product that I just stumbled across that may be of interest
to those with large battery banks that are difficult to access:

http://www.batteryfillingsystems.com....asp?page=home

I have no experience with this system but it was recommended by
someone on a boating EMAIL list that I subscribe to, and looks like it
might solve a problem on my boat.

Basically it uses special replacement battery caps that are tied
together with plastic tubing and a remote filling device. Each cap
has a float valve which closes when the cell is full. They sell
different types of caps and floats depending on battery type.

It is being marketed to industrial and golf cart users but I can't see
any reason why it wouldn't work on a boat.

On Mar 9, 11:57 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
Here's a product that I just stumbled across that may be of interest
to those with large battery banks that are difficult to access:

http://www.batteryfillingsystems.com....asp?page=home

I have no experience with this system but it was recommended by
someone on a boating EMAIL list that I subscribe to, and looks like it
might solve a problem on my boat.

Basically it uses special replacement battery caps that are tied
together with plastic tubing and a remote filling device. Each cap
has a float valve which closes when the cell is full. They sell
different types of caps and floats depending on battery type.

It is being marketed to industrial and golf cart users but I can't see
any reason why it wouldn't work on a boat.

The only complaint I have is the ridiculous cost for some molded
plastic

On Mar 9, 9:57�pm, Wayne.B wrote:
Here's a product that I just stumbled across that may be of interest
to those with large battery banks that are difficult to access:

http://www.batteryfillingsystems.com....asp?page=home

I have no experience with this system but it was recommended by
someone on a boating EMAIL list that I subscribe to, and looks like it
might solve a problem on my boat.

Basically it uses special replacement battery caps that are tied
together with plastic tubing and a remote filling device. *Each cap
has a float valve which closes when the cell is full. *They sell
different types of caps and floats depending on battery type.

It is being marketed to industrial and golf cart users but I can't see
any reason why it wouldn't work on a boat.

"Large battery banks that are difficult to access" sounds like a
serious problem, at least on a boat. What do you do when it's time to
replace 'em?

Also, with all of the plumbing, etc, how do you get the lid back onto
the battery box? Cut some additional holes?

(I use a hydro-cap on my Rolls batteries, does a lot to prevent loss
of electrolyte),

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,rec.boats.building

On 10 Mar 2007 12:23:23 -0800, "Chuck Gould"
wrote:

"Large battery banks that are difficult to access" sounds like a
serious problem, at least on a boat. What do you do when it's time to
replace 'em?

Also, with all of the plumbing, etc, how do you get the lid back onto
the battery box? Cut some additional holes?

(I use a hydro-cap on my Rolls batteries, does a lot to prevent loss
of electrolyte),

Funny you should ask about replacement since I just had to do that.
It was a heavy duty 8D weighing about 130 lbs or so. It's installed
back under a shelf in the engine room which makes checking and adding
water difficult. To make matters worse I've installed a bank of 4
golf cart batts outside of the 8D in their own custom box with a lot
of jumper wires for the series/parallel arrangement. In order to
remove the 8D I had to uninstall the golf carts, the jumper wires and
the golf cart box. Then I had to slide the 8D out of its hole under
the shelf and horse it up out of the engine compartment. Not a fun
job, and I ended up giving myself a mild case of tendonitis in my
right elbow.

My theory (thus far unproven) is that an automatic watering systems
would allow me to take better care of the almost inaccessible 8D and
get better life out of it. The tubing for the plumbing system looks
like it is quite thin and should exit out of the existing cutout in
the battery box. We'll see. First I've got to finish some other
projects and then find out how much these fancy battery caps cost.
The tubing and filling arrangement should be very inexpensive.

The Rolls hydrocaps are nice but I don't know if you can get them for
a standard 8D. How much height do they add?

wrote:

[...]

The weight of hydrocaps is negligible, AFAIK. But I have to ask, will your
remote watering system also measure specific gravity?

wrote:

"Large battery banks that are difficult to access" sounds like a
serious problem, at least on a boat. What do you do when it's time to
replace 'em?

Also, with all of the plumbing, etc, how do you get the lid back onto
the battery box? Cut some additional holes?

(I use a hydro-cap on my Rolls batteries, does a lot to prevent loss
of electrolyte),

Funny you should ask about replacement since I just had to do that.
It was a heavy duty 8D weighing about 130 lbs or so. It's installed
back under a shelf in the engine room which makes checking and adding
water difficult. To make matters worse I've installed a bank of 4
golf cart batts outside of the 8D in their own custom box with a lot
of jumper wires for the series/parallel arrangement.

What kind of a charger are you guys using when on shore power?
The ferro-resonant types can really cause a lot of electrolyte loss.
The dedicated batteries for the thrusters on my boat (Navigator) used to be
tied to the old, FR charger and they were in need of water almost monthly.
For other reasons ... I bought a dedicated, dual output, 3 stage "smart"
charger for them and I now add a small amount of water once a year, if that.
The batteries are always being maintained by the smart charger.

I still have 3 8Ds that are charged by the older charger and they require
regular water replenishment. If I were going to keep the boat, I'd consider
investing in a smart charger for them as well.

Might be worth considering on the GB, though.

Eisboch

wrote:
[...]

One of the major reasons I used the Rolls 8D, (aside from a 10 year
warranty wiht the first 7 not pro-rated) is that they are so super
easy to install and replace. You never lift more than about 30 pounds
at a whack, as you bolt 6 2-volt cells together inside a battery box.
If your 8D's are in a tough spot, it's a lot easier to swap them out
in 30-pound increments than making an awkward reach to try and lift a
couple of hundred pounds of battery. Why put the chiropractor's seven
kids through college? :-)

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,rec.boats.building

On 10 Mar 2007 17:08:01 -0800, "Chuck Gould"
wrote:

One of the major reasons I used the Rolls 8D, (aside from a 10 year
warranty wiht the first 7 not pro-rated) is that they are so super
easy to install and replace.

Rolls makes a great battery, no question. On the other hand the cost
of a Rolls 8D is somewhere north of $500 if my memory is correct. I
recently purchased a brand X 8D from NAPA auto parts for $160.
Assuming I get the usual 5 years from it, I'll be money ahead.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,rec.boats.building

Wayne.B wrote in
:

Rolls makes a great battery, no question. On the other hand the cost
of a Rolls 8D is somewhere north of $500 if my memory is correct. I
recently purchased a brand X 8D from NAPA auto parts for $160.
Assuming I get the usual 5 years from it, I'll be money ahead.

Yeah, but you will lose "dock prestige" if they ever discover the cheap
batteries after all that braggin' about only using the most expensive
batteries on earth in such a fine yacht....like the rest of them do....

Larry
--
How much price inflation is caused by illegal
aliens gobbling up goods and services, creating

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,rec.boats.building

"Larry" wrote in message
Wayne.B wrote in
:

Rolls makes a great battery, no question. On the other hand the cost
of a Rolls 8D is somewhere north of $500 if my memory is correct. I
recently purchased a brand X 8D from NAPA auto parts for $160.
Assuming I get the usual 5 years from it, I'll be money ahead.

Yeah, but you will lose "dock prestige" if they ever discover the cheap
batteries after all that braggin' about only using the most expensive
batteries on earth in such a fine yacht....like the rest of them do....

Larry
--

Boaters ask each other questions about what systems they use on their
boats -- happens in every marina, every day. If boater "A" says, "I use only

Would you have Rolls owners remain silent about their batteries to avoid
appearing "snobbish," or would you have them lie, claiming instead that they
use Duracells?

You can be a very silly person at times, you know?

Vector Battery Charger Eisboch General 15 June 29th 06 03:42 AM
Removing battery David General 0 July 31st 04 04:28 PM
Is it my battery or alternator that let me down? Ree-Yees General 16 May 7th 04 12:28 AM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM
Deep cycle batteries - miscellaneous advice? Ric Electronics 15 December 29th 03 10:20 AM