posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,rec.boats.building

Default Remote Battery Filling System

On Mar 10, 11:41�pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On 10 Mar 2007 17:08:01 -0800, "Chuck Gould"

wrote:
One of the major reasons I used the Rolls 8D, (aside from a 10 year
warranty wiht the first 7 not pro-rated) is that they are so super
easy to install and replace.

Rolls makes a great battery, no question. *On the other hand the cost
of a Rolls 8D is somewhere north of $500 if my memory is correct. *I
recently purchased a brand X 8D from NAPA auto parts for $160.
Assuming I get the usual 5 years from it, I'll be money ahead.

If you get five years from a bargain basement battery you're doing
really well.

Rolls pencils out if you figure the more typical three years from a
generic battery. If you pay somebody to replace the battery for you,
or if you value the
time involved or put any value on avoiding the risk of physical injury
associated with "horsing" 150 pounds in what always turns out to be an
incorrect posture, the Rolls puts you money ahead. The warranty on
Rolls is 10 years, (vs 24-36 months for most Brand X), and life
expectancy is often several years beyond the end of the warranty.

The other spiffy thing about the Rolls is that when most batteries
fail it's a failure in a single cell. With most batteries, you have to
junk all six cells bcause one has gone bad. With a Rolls, you simply
test the cells until you find the bad one, unbolt the bad cell from
the network, buy one new cell instead of six new cells, and forge
ahead.

On Mar 11, 3:05�pm, Larry wrote:
Wayne.B wrote :

Rolls makes a great battery, no question. *On the other hand the cost
of a Rolls 8D is somewhere north of $500 if my memory is correct. *I
recently purchased a brand X 8D from NAPA auto parts for $160.
Assuming I get the usual 5 years from it, I'll be money ahead.

Yeah, but you will lose "dock prestige" if they ever discover the cheap
batteries after all that braggin' about only using the most expensive
batteries on earth in such a fine yacht....like the rest of them do....

That, and after a long weekend at anchor somebody has to be able to
jump start the fleet of guys who think that cheaper is better. :-)

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,rec.boats.building

On 11 Mar 2007 16:31:08 -0700, "Chuck Gould"
wrote:

If you get five years from a bargain basement battery you're doing
really well.

Depends how you use it. In this particular case it is a starting
battery for my generators and also powers the anchor windlass. I'll
be very disappointed if it doesn't go at least 5 years in light duty
service like that, assuming I keep the cells watered properly.

[...]

All true, Rolls are great batteries, certainly among the best.

Brand-X from NAPA has one more advantage however - the NAPA store is
10 minutes from my house and the closest Rolls dealers are 2 1/2 hours
away in Lauderdale or Miami.

wrote:

[...]

How close is NAPA to that nice remote anchorage where the cheapy battery
fails? ;-)

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,rec.boats.building

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:15:14 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

How close is NAPA to that nice remote anchorage where the cheapy battery
fails? ;-)

My boat has so much redundancy in critical systems that replacement
parts in a remote anchorage are an unlikely scenario. This particular
8D can be parallelled with a bank of 4 golf cart batts, which in turn
can be parallelled with with either a second set of golf carts or an
engine starting 8D.

We had the raw water pump fail on our primary generator last year mid
way through a cruise of the Abaco out islands. After spending a
futile couple of hours trying to locate a new one, we continued on
using the backup generator. If both generators fail I can now
generate enough 12 volt amperage with the main engine alternators to
power a 2 KW inverter. That's enough to keep the holding plate
fridges and freezer cold, or do some light duty cooking. It would be
an act of hubris to rename the boat the M/V Unstoppable but it comes
as close as I know to make it.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,rec.boats.building

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 19:25:49 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

You've clearly thought this through. Would that I have room for so much
battery storage. :-)

Yeah, they're big and they're heavy, but compared to a couple of
Detroit 671s, a 15 and 20 KW generator, 1000 gallons of fuel and 500
gallons of water - it's a drop in the bucket.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,rec.boats.building

"KLC Lewis" wrote in
et:

You can be a very silly person at times, you know?

GUILTY AS CHARGED!

Male humans have been comparing the sizes of their penises since the
language was a series of grunts and screams.

This has not changed, just because we are on a dock.

Larry
--
Mine IS bigger'n urs....fo sho!
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,rec.boats.building

"Chuck Gould" wrote in
ups.com:

associated with "horsing" 150 pounds in what always turns out to be an
incorrect posture

150 pounds? Oh, you're swapping out our STARTING battery....sorry

Larry
--
How much price inflation is caused by illegal
aliens gobbling up goods and services, creating

On Mar 11, 9:35�pm, Larry wrote:
"Chuck Gould" wrote groups.com:

associated with "horsing" 150 pounds in what always turns out to be an
incorrect posture

150 pounds? *Oh, you're swapping out our STARTING battery....sorry

Larry
--

Actually, you're right if you're being sarcastic- I was shooting from
the hip on the weight and I was light by some 58 pounds. The actual

http://www.rollsbattery.com/

That's approximately 40 pounds heavier than a typical discount-store
battery of the same size (and most of the discount stores get their
batteries from the same manufacturers and simply get a private label
attached.) Your typical 8D is pretty close to the 150 I used as an off
the cuff example.

http://www.apexbattery.com/group-8d-...batteries.html

As you undoubtedly know, weight is a fairly reliable indicator of
quality and capacity in a lead-acid battery.

The Rolls (Surette in Canada) retails for aout 2 1/2 times the battery
linked above. The warranty is 10 times as long. On an amp/hour per
year of service basis, Rolls is probably the cheapest battery you can
buy- let alone the hassle of doing the swap out.

Vector Battery Charger Eisboch General 15 June 29th 06 03:42 AM
Removing battery David General 0 July 31st 04 04:28 PM
Is it my battery or alternator that let me down? Ree-Yees General 16 May 7th 04 12:28 AM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM
Deep cycle batteries - miscellaneous advice? Ric Electronics 15 December 29th 03 10:20 AM