posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,rec.boats.building
KLC Lewis KLC Lewis is offline

Default Remote Battery Filling System

You've clearly thought this through. Would that I have room for so much
battery storage. :-)

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:15:14 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

How close is NAPA to that nice remote anchorage where the cheapy battery
fails? ;-)

My boat has so much redundancy in critical systems that replacement
parts in a remote anchorage are an unlikely scenario. This particular
8D can be parallelled with a bank of 4 golf cart batts, which in turn
can be parallelled with with either a second set of golf carts or an
engine starting 8D.

We had the raw water pump fail on our primary generator last year mid
way through a cruise of the Abaco out islands. After spending a
futile couple of hours trying to locate a new one, we continued on
using the backup generator. If both generators fail I can now
generate enough 12 volt amperage with the main engine alternators to
power a 2 KW inverter. That's enough to keep the holding plate
fridges and freezer cold, or do some light duty cooking. It would be
an act of hubris to rename the boat the M/V Unstoppable but it comes
as close as I know to make it.