posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,rec.boats.building
Eisboch Eisboch is offline

Default Remote Battery Filling System

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

On 10 Mar 2007 12:23:23 -0800, "Chuck Gould"
wrote:

"Large battery banks that are difficult to access" sounds like a
serious problem, at least on a boat. What do you do when it's time to
replace 'em?

Also, with all of the plumbing, etc, how do you get the lid back onto
the battery box? Cut some additional holes?

(I use a hydro-cap on my Rolls batteries, does a lot to prevent loss
of electrolyte),

Funny you should ask about replacement since I just had to do that.
It was a heavy duty 8D weighing about 130 lbs or so. It's installed
back under a shelf in the engine room which makes checking and adding
water difficult. To make matters worse I've installed a bank of 4
golf cart batts outside of the 8D in their own custom box with a lot
of jumper wires for the series/parallel arrangement.

What kind of a charger are you guys using when on shore power?
The ferro-resonant types can really cause a lot of electrolyte loss.
The dedicated batteries for the thrusters on my boat (Navigator) used to be
tied to the old, FR charger and they were in need of water almost monthly.
For other reasons ... I bought a dedicated, dual output, 3 stage "smart"
charger for them and I now add a small amount of water once a year, if that.
The batteries are always being maintained by the smart charger.

I still have 3 8Ds that are charged by the older charger and they require
regular water replenishment. If I were going to keep the boat, I'd consider
investing in a smart charger for them as well.

Might be worth considering on the GB, though.

Eisboch