posted to rec.boats.building

Default Sawing aluminum tanks

For some reason when two aluminum tanks were installed just three years ago,
they chose not to put fuel guage senders in.
So now I need to install them.
The tanks hold diesel fuel.
I'm concerned about the danger of an explosion as I saw the holes.
What do people do? I'd never try this with a gasoline tank but am unsure of
diesel.

Jim and Becky wrote:

For some reason when two aluminum tanks were installed just three years ago,
they chose not to put fuel guage senders in.
So now I need to install them.
The tanks hold diesel fuel.
I'm concerned about the danger of an explosion as I saw the holes.
What do people do? I'd never try this with a gasoline tank but am unsure of
diesel.

You can probably do it with no issues. I have welded diesel tanks that
were emptied with no issues many times.

If you are really worried, use nitrogen or CO2 to inert the atmosphere
inside the tank. If there is no oxygen, there can be no flame.

I'd be more worried about the chips in the tanks than any fire hazard.

--
“TANSTAAFL”

“All I can say is there had better be some cheese at the end of this maze……”

The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences." - Proverbs 22:3

posted to rec.boats.building

There is a very small risk but you have several things in your favor. A
hole saw on aluminum doesn't produce sparks, the aluminum does not get very
hot and diesel has a relatively high flash point. That said I think I would
purge the tank with CO2 or nitrogen first. Also the aluminum chips can
cause a real problem in fuel pumps. .

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Jim and Becky wrote:

For some reason when two aluminum tanks were installed just three
years ago,
they chose not to put fuel guage senders in.
So now I need to install them.

snip

Why bother, it is very tough to beat a stick.

As someone who sells and applies level measurement instruments, I'll
be using a stick.

Why a stick?

Because it is reliable.

Difficult to say the same for instruments on a small boat (100 ft or
less) without spending some very serious money.

Ask the US Navy when they install level measurement instruments on
their vessels.

Lew
posted to rec.boats.building
sal sal is offline

Hi there not to worry we do it all the time in the truck repair shops. Use
the proper sized hole saw with grease on the teeth and drill away. Their may
be a few chips fall into tank but they are picked up in the filters.I have
done it an hundred times with full or empty Diesel tanks.

Sal

"Jim and Becky" wrote in message
For some reason when two aluminum tanks were installed just three years
ago,
they chose not to put fuel guage senders in.
So now I need to install them.
The tanks hold diesel fuel.
I'm concerned about the danger of an explosion as I saw the holes.
What do people do? I'd never try this with a gasoline tank but am unsure
of
diesel.

posted to rec.boats.building

It is very tough to beat a stick for level measurement.....unless the boat
is in a seaway.
Dave

"Dave W" wrote in message
It is very tough to beat a stick for level measurement.....unless the boat
is in a seaway.

Or unless there's a curve in the fill hose.... :-(

Meindert