posted to rec.boats.building
Glenn Ashmore Glenn Ashmore is offline

Default Sawing aluminum tanks

There is a very small risk but you have several things in your favor. A
hole saw on aluminum doesn't produce sparks, the aluminum does not get very
hot and diesel has a relatively high flash point. That said I think I would
purge the tank with CO2 or nitrogen first. Also the aluminum chips can
cause a real problem in fuel pumps. .

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"dazed and confuzzed" wrote in message
Jim and Becky wrote:

For some reason when two aluminum tanks were installed just three years
ago,
they chose not to put fuel guage senders in.
So now I need to install them.
The tanks hold diesel fuel.
I'm concerned about the danger of an explosion as I saw the holes.
What do people do? I'd never try this with a gasoline tank but am unsure
of
diesel.

You can probably do it with no issues. I have welded diesel tanks that
were emptied with no issues many times.

If you are really worried, use nitrogen or CO2 to inert the atmosphere
inside the tank. If there is no oxygen, there can be no flame.

I'd be more worried about the chips in the tanks than any fire hazard.

--
“TANSTAAFL”

“All I can say is there had better be some cheese at the end of this
maze……”

The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences." - Proverbs
22:3