Mic

Default Yacht water storage links -Mic

Yacht water storage links:

I was interested in the options for water storage on yachts. Some
have intergral to the hull storage, but in many of those discussions
there is no direct reference to lining materials. I am not offering
any opinions or "advocating" anything here just links.

I am not totally convinced of paintable coatings. My preliminary
thought is using some sort of liner or those 15 or 55 gallon water
drums, but all options seem to have some issues. Yes the ultimate
option is seen to be having company make one for you once you decide
on the material - metal or plastic.

If you have any comments, suggestions or opinions;} regarding this
topic, contribute if you like....

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.c...=147211&page=1
Coating a soft water tank
We have had success with Devoe thin film epoxies. There are other good
options as well.
ssreese1500 (Marine/Ocean)
15 Feb 06 15:15
International Paint makes a product called Interline 925 that is an
excellent high solids Epoxy Coating. I cant seem to find any data on
it as to service temperature. The only problem with it is that the
steel must be grit blasted to near white condition before application,
and and surface rust that flashes must be removed before application.
Interline 850 is also a good product and is a lot easier to use than
925, but 925 is what I use on all my water tanks.

I am sure that if you can find an International Paint rep in your area
he could look at your application and guide you in the right
direction.

http://www.welding-advisers.com/Welding-aluminum.html

http://www.allproducts.com/korea/samhwa/140.html
http://storage-tanks.globalspec.com/...r_storage_tank
http://www.oasisdesign.net/water/storage/extras/
"Research Notes on Effect of Tank Materials on Water Quality"

http://www.globalspec.com/FeaturedPr..._Epoxy/17781/0
"Tank Clad™ HS Epoxy
Tank Clad™ HS Epoxy Tank Clad HS is a VOC compliant, 80% solids epoxy
coating formulated specifically as an interior lining for pipes and
tanks containing potable water, fresh water, and salt water. May also
be used as part of a system for tank exteriors."

http://www2.sherwin.com/apps/PickPro...pe=data&id=361
http://www2.sherwin.com/im/pharmaceu....asp?nav=Tools
Epoxy Coating Trouble-Shooting Guide
Epoxy Coating Comparison Chart
Generic Classification

http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/24512/2151

http://www2.sherwin-williams.com/im/default.asp
http://www2.sherwin-williams.com/im/...=&nav=Products

http://www.industrial-trend.com/pota...age_tanks.html

http://www.drinkingwater.utah.gov/do...45_8-15-00.htm

http://www.tankteam.com/wt_coating_select.htm

http://www.sspc.org/events/SSPC03/te...ons/tanks.html
http://portal.nstcenter.com/Document...63101-001A.pdf

http://iier.isciii.es/mmwr/preview/m...l/00001637.htm
"Constituents of epoxy resins will displace oxygen in a confined
space"

http://www.wateraid.org/internationa...notes/2055.asp
"Rainwater harvesting"

http://royalliner.com/
A Flexible Liner
http://www.armorshieldlining.com/
http://www.vwrrc.vt.edu/publications..._standards.htm
http://www.sunwindsolar.com/a_solar/...ergy_uses.html
http://www.watertechonline.com/

http://www.westsystem.com/ewmag/18/pdf/tanks.pdf
http://www.international-marine.com/...B_ISOm_987.pdf
http://www.thomasnet.com/products/co...5604804-1.html
http://www.macraesbluebook.com/searc...d_Code=1687050

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp...t_id=124&SBL=2
"Industrial Potable Water Coating (W9200 System)"
http://www.rustoleum.com/%5Cmsds%5CEnglish%5CIPWEB.PDF
http://www.rustoleum.com/%5Cmsds%5CEnglish%5CIPWET.PDF
http://www.rustoleum.com/tds/2112990%20RO-54.pdf

http://www.sscoatings.net/products.htm
http://www.tankconnection.com/coating.html
http://www.fieldliningsystems.com/potable.html
http://www.somay.com/case_histories/case_histories.html

http://www.nordhavn.com/47/specs_plumbing.htm

http://www.snydernet.com/frequently_asked_questions.htm
http://www.sscoatings.net/brewcoat-info.htm
http://www.shop.com/op/sprod-32843-k24-g4-962136-i1

http://www.construction-guide.com/pl...&contextual=no
http://beprepared.com/article.asp?ai=16

http://www.westsystem.com/ewmag/18/tanks.html

Considerations for potable water tanks
We have adopted the broad policy of not recommending epoxy for
drinking water tanks because of regulatory and safety issues. The
potential problems outweigh the benefits.

http://www.zimmermanmarine.com/docs/tanks.pdf
http://www.nsf.org/business/newsroom...8-1/index.html
http://www.uniquepolymersystems.com/.../aquacoat.html
http://wwnet.fi/corebros/Eepoksi.html
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...=c lnk&cd=131
http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/bfds/reta...l/Annex2-2.pdf
http://www.usace.army.mil/usace-docs...2-3400/c-5.pdf
http://www.fda.gov/ora/inspect_ref/igs/icsfatt.html

http://forums.boatdesign.net/showthread.php?t=278

http://www.safetanks.com/plastics.html
Good Tech

http://www.devoecoatings.com/Markets/foodbeverage.jsp
Devoe® High Performance Coatings Brand "Advantage" Products for Food
and Beverage Facilities

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...=c lnk&cd=131

" 1.
This section specifies the construction,
installation, and connection of a potable water collection box/tank. "

http://www.drinkingwaterfromtheair.com/3ABOUT.html
http://www.thortex.co.uk/industryprofiles/food.htm
http://tuberose.com/Plastics.html
The bottom line for consumers is: Not all plastic is alike, and not
all name-brand plastic products are microwave-safe.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...ence/d4e.shtml
Coatings for Construction: Internal tank coatings for food or potable
water contact

http://www.gslabs.com/e214.pdf

http://my.boatus.com/askexperts/donc...tionid=75&cat=
Welcome to BoatUS Ask the Experts Web Site!
http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/16.htm

http://www.treehugger.com/files/water/
Using the sun to sterilize water
http://www.buysell.com/boating/artic...echnically.asp
"I'd like to extend the range of our fiberglass boat with some
additional tankage for both fuel and water. "

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epoxy-Resin-Clea...cmdZViewIt em
http://stores.ebay.com/Polymer-Produ...-Epoxy-Experts

http://www.practical-sailor.com/news...Questions8.pdf
http://www.plastictanks.ca/

Mic 67
Mic

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 19:30:58 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:09:06 GMT, (Mic) wrote:

I was interested in the options for water storage on yachts. Some
have intergral to the hull storage, but in many of those discussions
there is no direct reference to lining materials.

High quality boats almost never have integral tanks - for water or
fuel.

Deerfoot 62 - a new all stainless steel keel with integral fuel tanks
and internal lead ballast.??? A Dashew boat??

I cant say whether that is true or not and for what reason, nor am I
really interested in debating that either. My thoughts on it are
based on James Baldwin's Triton refit and the Practical Sailor article
quoted below. I also did a little google research and listed those
refering to intergral.... West systems doesnt advise it.... but I
believe the european union concensus allow them... if you do have them
they certainly have to be baffled, and then comes the debate as to
where they ought to be located, etc. I also question if there is in
fact a concensus on the reasons why "intergral" is actually choosen.
Economic vs practial....

The purpose of this research was based on materials alone and not
really any other consideration per say as it seems that a decision
whether or not to have intergral is individual.

http://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/8187/
"Many individual tanks, integral to hull, some as fuel tank, some as
water tank, some as floatation tank. "
W. De Vries Lentsch - One off design 16.00 metres Hull Material:
Steel

http://www.morganscloud.com/aboutmc.htm
We carry 285 US gallons of fuel in integral tanks in the keel stub.
http://www.deckersailing.com/retrofit.htm
two integral water tanks that hold 110 gallons of fresh water.
Beneteau 375

http://www.yandina.com/Boat4Sale/Specifications.htm
The 5 integral fuel tanks are connected to two fuel transfer consoles,
one for engines

www.oceannavigator.com/article.php?a=993
Sunrider has integral tanks with 300 gallons capacity and can use fuel
bladders ... travel in tandem with a 55-foot sailboat that carried
jugs of Biodiesel.

http://www.practical-sailor.com/tools/features.html

http://www.practical-sailor.com/news...s/874tanks.pdf
"Part II: Integral Tanks by Keith Lawrence
The practice of building tanks integral with the hull
(using the hull shell to form part of the tank) comes
not-so-highly recommended by many authors.
Generally, these are the same experts that would
prefer that all marine tanks be made of monel. But I
would hasten to point out that many, if not most,
large fiberglass commercial fishing vessels are built
on hulls that are comprised almost entirely of
integral FRP tanks, and many of these boats have
been in service for over thirty years now. For
commercial vessels built of aluminum or steel,
integral metal tanks are the rule, rather than the
exception."

"The primary argument against integral tanks
seems to be that flexing of the hull will eventually
cause stress fractures in the corners of the tanks
leading to seepage. "

"The other popular argument against integral
tanks is that if the hull skin is punctured, then the
tank is also ruptured. This, I feel, is one of the strongest
arguments in favor of integral tanks, rather than
against them. It seems to me that sal****er sloshing
around in a fuel tank is a much easier problem to solve
than saltwalter rising over the berthtops."

"While the cost of materials for integral tanks is
relatively low, the labor cost is significant. This is
why they are often found in custom or one-off boats,
and rarely found in production boats. "
_____________________

NOTE: the word "intergral" is took to mean part of the boat rather
than a part in the boat....

http://www.nautilusmarineyachtbroker.../newsnov99.htm

Fuel: Diesel in 2 s/s tanks. Total capacity 450 litres Water: 2
integral tanks

http://www.2hulls.com/usedcatamaran-...iinaMaria.html
Fuel Capacity:, 120 gallons, aluminum tank ... 750 ltrs ( 180 galls)
fresh water in two integral water tanks (one ea. hull).

http://www.pacificseacraft.com/cgi-b....php?0100,news - 21k
On the subject of tanks, there are three fiberglass water tanks, built
integral to the hull, that hold 150 gallons of fresh water.

Deerfoot 62 - a new all stainless steel keel with integral fuel tanks
and internal lead ballast.

www.capedory.org/nqarticle/index.html

An integral 36-gallon fiberglass holding tank is glassed into the hull
molding above the ...

http://www.yachtshare.com/cgi-bin/di...small?bid=3225
2002 64' Blue Dragon by 2 Hulls, Inc. - Home Page
220 gallon integral water tank with deck fill;

www.imci.org/downloads/Dir9425ECen.pdf
may be kept in tanks that are integral with the hull.

[PDF] Technical Documentation
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
above 55°c may be kept in tanks that. are integral with the hull. ...
Sailboat and single-engine inboard. powered motor boats with remote-
http://www.rya.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/4...umentation.pdf
-

"BoatShow" Passoa 47
Information on Passoa 47, a sailboat profiled at Ovation's online boat
show, ... and includes integral fuel and water tanks, ballast and all
non mechanical ...
www.boatshow.com/Passoa47.html

[DOC] TOPLANTI RAPORU
File Format: Microsoft Word 2000 - View as HTML
Diesel fuel may be kept in tanks that are integral with the hull. ...
Sailboat and single-engined inboard powered motor boats with
remote-controlled rudder ...
http://www.denizcilik.gov.tr/anlasma...iNGHAZ2005.doc
-
Richards 38 Manual
The fuel system consists of two integral fiberglass fuel tanks. ...
These two dissimilar but important optional items should be on every
sailboat. ...
www.cheoyleeassociation.com/Richards38manual.htm - 57k

Wayne.B

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:26:02 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

High quality boats almost never have integral tanks - for water or
fuel.

Our water tanks are build into the hull. I think our boat is quite
high quality.

And no doubt it is. I think my my statement about "almost never" is
still true however, even though the reasons are not necessarily clear.

There may be less of an issue with integral water tanks as opposed to
fuel, certainly leaks/safety are less of a concern. There have been
many, many instances of fiberglass fuel tanks degrading because of
fuel/resin interactions, especially with ethanol/gasoline. There's no
reason to think that those same interactions wouldn't take place place
with the resin in a hull, with even more serious consequences.

My first cruising sailboat was a Westerly 28 which was reasonably well
built in most respects. It did have an integral water tank however
built in underneath the V berths. The tank eventually began leaking,
probably from being repeatedly being stressed at its aft bulkhead. We
never did find a totally satisfactory cure and would probably have
needed to rip out the V berths, reinforce/rebuild the tank, and put
the whole thing back together.

Here's another data point. In the process of switching from sail to
power several years ago we spent quite a bit of time looking at
offshore sport fishing boats made by Bertram, Hatteras and Viking. We
already had some experience with our old Bertram 33 and had come to
appreciate just how well it had been built. All three of these
builders have (or had) a reputation for building tough high quality
boats that could go offshore and take a pounding. Not a single one
that we looked at had integral fuel or water tanks. They were all
fiberglass hulls of course and that may be part of the reason but I'm
not sure. It is true that many steel hulled boats, and some with
aluminum hulls have integral tanks but it is not clear if that is
coincidental or structural.

Perhaps Roger Long could cast some light on the question?

DSK

Wayne.B wrote:
And no doubt it is. I think my my statement about "almost never" is
still true however, even though the reasons are not necessarily clear.

From what I've seen, CSY's are pretty good boats.

I'd agree that... all else being equal... integral tanks are
not as good...

Of course, all else is very rarely equal. Integral do have
one strong point in their favor, that is their effect on the
center of gravity can be better if they are integrally
located down low in the hull's structure. And as Wayne B
mentions in his post this is commonly done in metal boats.

There may be less of an issue with integral water tanks as opposed to
fuel, certainly leaks/safety are less of a concern. There have been
many, many instances of fiberglass fuel tanks degrading because of
fuel/resin interactions, especially with ethanol/gasoline. There's no
reason to think that those same interactions wouldn't take place place
with the resin in a hull, with even more serious consequences.

It's a big deal to have the tank surfaced properly for
whatever is stored in it, and to have proper access, proper
plumbing connections, level indicators, vents, etc etc. It's
more difficult to provide these with an integral tank so
good builders prefer not to invest the additional labor for
a small benefit, and so they make the tanks seperately...
cheapo builders aren't concerned about that (they aren't
going to do it all properly anyway) and don't want to spend
the extra money for the tank itself.

And of course, it's far more difficult to remove & re-plumb
an integral tank. Been some big improvements in bladder
tanks recently, this is the way I'd go if I were looking at
replacing any tankage on board (except holding tanks).

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Roger Long

"Wayne.B" wrote
Perhaps Roger Long could cast some light on the question?

I struggled with this question a lot when international standards and
the Coast Guard's starting to enforce Public Health Department rules
made potable water skin tanks illegal in vessels. Watermakers have
eased the situation somewhat but I was designing sailing school
vessels before they were at the state of the art they are today.

Imagine putting enough water for a highly populated, slow, vessel that
makes long voyages into separate tanks with enough space to get around
the outsides for inspection and the bottoms two feet above any
possible bilge water level. You could use up 10% - 15% of the
vessel's usable accommodations capacity pretty easily.

The solution was to have a small potable water tank that went to the
galley and the drinking fountains and big skin tanks that went
everywhere else. All the other water outlets, such as in the heads,
would have a little sign that said, "Not suitable for drinking."
Everyone would brush their teeth or drink it anyway.

It's more of an issue on steel vessels where damage or a corrosion pin
hole wouldn't be discovered in the fresh water tanks. People might
get an unhealthy dose of salt without noticing it. Worse, they might
get some really nasty cholera bug in some port.

This isn't much different from our sailboat where the water in the big
tank tastes bad. Potable water is a bunch of plastic bottles under a
bunk. It's actually a lot easier to hand a new one up to the thirsty
helmsman than keep refilling a glass. Before any long voyages away
from reliable water supply though, I've got to tackle cleaning out
that tank and piping system.

When was the last time you found water seeping through a pin hole or
other damage in the skin of your fiberglass boat? That's about the
risk level of an integral tank. Without the Coast Guard looking over
my plans, I'd put an integral tank in any boat and just keep an eye on
the hull and the taste of the water.

Another reason though for using bottled water, despite confidence in
your tanks, is all the funky stuff that can get into marina hoses and
piping. It doesn't take much getting in when the pipes and hoses sit
out there warm in the sun. Even though we don't drink the water from
our tank, I like to fill it on a weekend when lots of people have been
hosing off their boats and filling their tanks just in case a guest
pours themselves a glass.

--

Roger Long

Lew Hodgett

Wayne.B wrote:

There may be less of an issue with integral water tanks as opposed to
fuel, certainly leaks/safety are less of a concern. There have been
many, many instances of fiberglass fuel tanks degrading because of
fuel/resin interactions, especially with ethanol/gasoline.

snip

That's why "tank resin" is applied to the interior of fuel/potable
water/hydraulic/waste/etc/etc vessels.

Carries a mil-spec for the procedure as I remember.

Lew
Rosalie B.

"Roger Long" wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote
Perhaps Roger Long could cast some light on the question?

Another reason though for using bottled water, despite confidence in
your tanks, is all the funky stuff that can get into marina hoses and
piping. It doesn't take much getting in when the pipes and hoses sit
out there warm in the sun. Even though we don't drink the water from
our tank, I like to fill it on a weekend when lots of people have been
hosing off their boats and filling their tanks just in case a guest
pours themselves a glass.

We do both. We carry 400 gallons of water in two tanks. We wash our
boat before we fill the tanks. I have no hesitation about drinking
water from the tanks.

We also freeze water in bottles at home and put the frozen bottles in
the frig and freezer on the boat to help it keep cold. The ones in
the refrigerator we periodically put in the head for drinking or
taking pills. We also use those bottles to make sunshine tea. But
when we are living aboard, we keep the water fresh enough to drink
provided we don't fill the tanks with bad water to begin with.

grandma Rosalie
Roger Long

I used to love sunshine tea and never had a problem drinking it but
someone (can't remember who but I do remember that they were credible
on such subjects) told me that you can get very, very sick from it.
The tea leaves grow in far a way places, often are spread out on tarps
in the sun to dry, birds fly over, etc. You put this highly organic
stuff in a bottle and let it heat up to just about the optimum
temperature range for bacterial growth and then drink it.

I'd like to know just how much of a concern this really is. The
person who told me explained it as one of those things you'll get away
with for years but can get life threateningly sick.

BTW I'd have no hesitation about drinking the water out of our tank
either except that it tastes like essence of old boat.

--

Roger Long