posted to rec.boats.building
anxious boater

Default care of aluminum tanks

Being a newbie at boat refitting (almost re building), I have a new set of
alum gas tanks sitting outside in the rain and snow and it suddenly occured
to me that maybe that's not good? I know alum doesn't rust like steel does
but am I asking for trouble having done that? Just plain alum, not painted
or anything, but the vents etc are plugged.

Thanks
Steve L

posted to rec.boats.building
anxious boater

Sorry, I also meant to ask if they should ever be painted or will they be OK
once in the bost as is (assumming I haven't screwed up).
Thanks

"anxious boater" wrote in message
Being a newbie at boat refitting (almost re building), I have a new set of
alum gas tanks sitting outside in the rain and snow and it suddenly

occured
to me that maybe that's not good? I know alum doesn't rust like steel does
but am I asking for trouble having done that? Just plain alum, not painted
or anything, but the vents etc are plugged.

Thanks
Steve L

posted to rec.boats.building
Capt John

Your tanks are probably just fine, but I would cover them up and raise
them off the ground. I've seen tanks coated with zinc cromate (not sure
of that spelling) and I've seen them covered with tar. Best thing to
do, keep them out of water in the bilge.

posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Whatcott

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 11:11:36 -0500, "anxious boater"
wrote:

Sorry, I also meant to ask if they should ever be painted or will they be OK
once in the bost as is (assumming I haven't screwed up).
Thanks

"anxious boater" wrote in message
. ..
Being a newbie at boat refitting (almost re building), I have a new set of
alum gas tanks sitting outside in the rain and snow and it suddenly

occured
to me that maybe that's not good? I know alum doesn't rust like steel does
but am I asking for trouble having done that? Just plain alum, not painted
or anything, but the vents etc are plugged.

Thanks
Steve L

Likely, nothing bad comes of fresh water on aluminum. High strength
alloys like 6061 or 2024 tend to get specified with pure aluminum
surface layers for superior corrosion resistance.

If the tanks are to be kept dry, you might consider the usual
chromate primer paint finish.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK