LocomOcean

Default My Aluminum Fuel Tanks Need Replacing -HELP!

I bought a 1978 Chris Craft 410 Commander a year ago and have been
fixing everything on it.

The last problem need is that the port fuel tank apparently had water
in it for a long period of time which caused the aluminum fuel tank to
corrode badly. It is old anyway at this point but I am told the
aluminum has broken down and the interior aluminum decay is clogging up
my fuel water seperator filter with tiny pieces of what looks like a
granular oatmeal substance. Which means I have to constantly change out
the filter to keep running.

Right now I have gone to the fuel direction valve in the rear of the
engine compartment and have both engines running off the starboard fuel
tank....which has reduced the engine performance.

My question is who still makes the original Chris Craft fuel tanks and
how can I get a hold of them? My local marina in Northern Texas on Lake
Texoma wants to farm the job out to a local welder but I prefer to buy
the replacements that are made for the boat.

The tanks are both located under the bed platform in the master suite
in the rear of the boat. If I have to replace one I might as well
replace both at this point.

How big a job is it to remove and replace these tanks?

Can I be so lucky to get advice from another Chris Craft boat owner who
has already had this problem and got it done right?

Please help me if you can.

Richard McClure
LocomOcean
1978 Chris Craft 410 Commander Motor Yacht

jabadoodle

I doubt if anyone is making original fuel tanks for a 1970s boat. And I
doubt
if there would be an original one anyplace that has never been used
(overstock).
A 1978 Commander is not exactly a vintage boat. And were only talking about
a fuel tank here; something that is out of site. If a welder can make a new
one
that has the same dimensions and look as the original...why not?

The tanks are both located under the bed platform in the master suite
in the rear of the boat. If I have to replace one I might as well
replace both at this point.

That sounds logical.

I have a 1958 22' Chris Craft Sea Skiff. Very different boat, but I too am
thinking
of replacing the fuel tank. Ours is steel and not tooooo badly rusted
inside. After running
probably 30 hours with a small filter is was a bit clogged. Not so bad as we
noticed an
performance change...but enough that I can see rust particles in the small
filter.

Even on this "classic" boat that we've lovingly restored and want to be as
close
to orginal as we can, I have no problem with the idea of a local welder
making
a new tank. (Other than the price he wanted).

Good Luck,
Gary

Guys, you can find quality replacement tanks on Ebay. Aluminum,
Fiberglass, or plastic.

New, and used.