LocomOcean

Default My Aluminum Fuel Tanks Need Replacing -HELP!

I bought a 1978 Chris Craft 410 Commander a year ago and have been
fixing everything on it.

The last problem need is that the port fuel tank apparently had water
in it for a long period of time which caused the aluminum fuel tank to
corrode badly. It is old anyway at this point but I am told the
aluminum has broken down and the interior aluminum decay is clogging up
my fuel water seperator filter with tiny pieces of what looks like a
granular oatmeal substance. Which means I have to constantly change out
the filter to keep running.

Right now I have gone to the fuel direction valve in the rear of the
engine compartment and have both engines running off the starboard fuel
tank....which has reduced the engine performance.

My question is who still makes the original Chris Craft fuel tanks and
how can I get a hold of them? My local marina in Northern Texas on Lake
Texoma wants to farm the job out to a local welder but I prefer to buy
the replacements that are made for the boat.

The tanks are both located under the bed platform in the master suite
in the rear of the boat. If I have to replace one I might as well
replace both at this point.

How big a job is it to remove and replace these tanks?

Can I be so lucky to get advice from another Chris Craft boat owner who
has already had this problem and got it done right?

Please help me if you can.

Richard McClure
LocomOcean
1978 Chris Craft 410 Commander Motor Yacht