Jonathan

Default First time pitfalls......

I've laid out the various parts on sheets of okoume (the designer
supplied very tight layout schematic, with sometimes barely two saw
blade widths between parts) and will begin cutting the pieces free later
today.

I have both wire and cable ties on hand, and will see how each works and
then use them as i need them.

As one panel has to be duplicated, I have decided to cut it out once,
then copy the pieces to the other panel. I then plan to clamp the two
identical pieces together and sand them so they are *exactly duplicate.

I plan to leave the lines when cutting. When they are clamped together I
will then sand the package back to the line on the first piece. It has
been my experience when tracing that the second piece winds up a little
bit bigger than the original. If one were to take a third copy off the
second piece, the difference between the first and third would be
noticeable.

I would appreciate anyone sharing any first time goofs that they can
remember (and bear to share).

This is a link to a wooden boat I did extensive repairs to a few years
ago, a Carl Alberg design built by Graves in Marblehead, MA.

http://www.alberg30.org/CarlAlberg/WoodenBoats/Alestra/

Thanks,

Jonathan

William R. Watt

Jonathan ) writes:

.. If one were to take a third copy off the
second piece, the difference between the first and third would be
noticeable.

always copy from the original or master to avoid cumulative error

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Dan

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 08:46:27 -0400, Jonathan
wrote:

I've laid out the various parts on sheets of okoume (the designer
supplied very tight layout schematic, with sometimes barely two saw
blade widths between parts) and will begin cutting the pieces free later
today.

I have both wire and cable ties on hand, and will see how each works and
then use them as i need them.

Do one side with cable ties and the other with copper and let us know
which is easier.

As one panel has to be duplicated, I have decided to cut it out once,
then copy the pieces to the other panel. I then plan to clamp the two
identical pieces together and sand them so they are *exactly duplicate.

Sand the first one to exactly where you want it and cut the second and
third ones with a pattern bit in the router.
I would purchase another sheet of okoume anyway because I will
certainly screw up something. I always manage to. :-)

Good Luck,
Dan
I plan to leave the lines when cutting. When they are clamped together I
will then sand the package back to the line on the first piece. It has
been my experience when tracing that the second piece winds up a little
bit bigger than the original. If one were to take a third copy off the
second piece, the difference between the first and third would be
noticeable.

I would appreciate anyone sharing any first time goofs that they can
remember (and bear to share).

This is a link to a wooden boat I did extensive repairs to a few years
ago, a Carl Alberg design built by Graves in Marblehead, MA.

http://www.alberg30.org/CarlAlberg/WoodenBoats/Alestra/

Thanks,

Jonathan

Meindert Sprang

"Jonathan" wrote in message
As one panel has to be duplicated, I have decided to cut it out once,
then copy the pieces to the other panel. I then plan to clamp the two
identical pieces together and sand them so they are *exactly duplicate.

The easiest way is to cut out one panel and sand it to the right shape, use
it to trace the other panel, and saw that one slightly outside the line
(1/32 to 1/16" or so). Then clamp them together and use a router copy-bit
(the type with a ball bearing on the top) to route the slightly oversized
panel to the exact shape of the first.

Meindert

Rick Tyler

wrote:

As one panel has to be duplicated, I have decided to cut it out once,
then copy the pieces to the other panel. I then plan to clamp the two
identical pieces together and sand them so they are *exactly duplicate.

Been there. Done that. Wasted the time. If they are the same to
some reasonable level (1/4" bumps and hollows) the epoxy and
fiberglass tape will cover all your sins. Don't over-do on the
woodworking. This took me about three boats to figure out -- it's not
cabinet making and epoxy-and-glass covers a world of small errors that
would have a furniture builder adding to the firewood pile.

I plan to leave the lines when cutting. When they are clamped together I
will then sand the package back to the line on the first piece. It has
been my experience when tracing that the second piece winds up a little
bit bigger than the original. If one were to take a third copy off the
second piece, the difference between the first and third would be
noticeable.

If you really want identical, cut the first piece as carefully as you
can, carpet-tape another piece to it, and then cut out the second
piece with a router and a laminate-trimming bit. I've done this with
a Boy Scout Troop build which required 14 identical bottom and 28
identical side pieces. In retrospect, it was too time consuming and
we could have just let the boys trace the master on their plywood and
then cut it out with a small circular saw. Save your energy for
sanding. Lots of sanding.

I would appreciate anyone sharing any first time goofs that they can
remember (and bear to share).

There isn't room on the Worldwide Web for my mistakes.

This is a link to a wooden boat I did extensive repairs to a few years
ago, a Carl Alberg design built by Graves in Marblehead, MA.

Don't confuse S&G dinghy-building with wooden boat building. It's not
worse, it's just different. It can also be faster.

Have fun.

- Rick Tyler

--
"Ignorant voracity -- a wingless vulture -- can soar only into the
depths of ignominy." Patrick O'Brian

Matt Langenfeld

Using the first panel to trace to other has worked well for me. Be sure
to measure twice, cut once. Hopefully the designer gave you a way to
perform a quality assurance check.

Buying an extra sheet of plywood is a good idea as mentioned in another
post.

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft

Jonathan wrote:
[...]

Jonathan

One of the first time pitfalls I just identified is not looking in my
download folder for a year since I printed the plans. The directions
were in an html file that I had mistaken for a logo (another html file
in the pack *is* a logo*, so I hadn't bothered to look at it.

I found the directions which specify tying the "additional" lengthening
pieces on with tape and resin, tying the bottom together, then tying the
bow together then the sides,wired to the bottom, starting from the bow,
then attaching the transom. When it is all knit together, with
moderately loose wire ties, then "straighten" for evenness and tighten
the ties. Then start with the epoxy.

I had more or less gotten this from the various contributors, but as
someone mentioned, it's nice to have an idea what the designer was thinking.

Thanks to all. I am now *waiting* for the bottom extensions to cure.

Jonathan

Matt Langenfeld wrote:
Using the first panel to trace to other has worked well for me. Be sure
to measure twice, cut once. Hopefully the designer gave you a way to
perform a quality assurance check.

Buying an extra sheet of plywood is a good idea as mentioned in another
post.

Michael Kelly

Jonathan wrote:

I would appreciate anyone sharing any first time goofs that they can
remember (and bear to share).

Since you have two pieces of plywood, and you probably store them flat,
the top piece is becomming warped. Make sure you use enough ties to
even your bow/stern. My first canoe is named "Ugly Duckling" for a
reason. Mr Payson recomends laying the warped plywood concave side down
on the lawn for a few hours to correct the warp.

Mike.
Matt Langenfeld

For your first time, I wouldn't sweat a little bit a warped wood, if you
find it after that fact of course. It's your first one. Enjoy it.

I made some big oops's on my first one like not mixing the epoxy
correctly and having a seam stay gummy. Mistakes are just about
unavoidable. Luckily they turn into experience.

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft

Michael Kelly wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

I would appreciate anyone sharing any first time goofs that they can
remember (and bear to share).

Since you have two pieces of plywood, and you probably store them
flat, the top piece is becomming warped. Make sure you use enough ties
to even your bow/stern. My first canoe is named "Ugly Duckling" for a
reason. Mr Payson recomends laying the warped plywood concave side down
on the lawn for a few hours to correct the warp.

Mike.

Ford and Mary Ann Walton

Jonathan,

If the plywood is not the same on both sides, remember to put the
"inside" sides together when you trace the second part.

Good luck,
Ford Walton