Ford and Mary Ann Walton

Default First time pitfalls......

Jonathan,

If the plywood is not the same on both sides, remember to put the
"inside" sides together when you trace the second part.

Good luck,
Ford Walton

Jonathan wrote:

I've laid out the various parts on sheets of okoume (the designer
supplied very tight layout schematic, with sometimes barely two saw
blade widths between parts) and will begin cutting the pieces free later
today.

I have both wire and cable ties on hand, and will see how each works and
then use them as i need them.

As one panel has to be duplicated, I have decided to cut it out once,
then copy the pieces to the other panel. I then plan to clamp the two
identical pieces together and sand them so they are *exactly duplicate.

I plan to leave the lines when cutting. When they are clamped together I
will then sand the package back to the line on the first piece. It has
been my experience when tracing that the second piece winds up a little
bit bigger than the original. If one were to take a third copy off the
second piece, the difference between the first and third would be
noticeable.

I would appreciate anyone sharing any first time goofs that they can
remember (and bear to share).

This is a link to a wooden boat I did extensive repairs to a few years
ago, a Carl Alberg design built by Graves in Marblehead, MA.

http://www.alberg30.org/CarlAlberg/WoodenBoats/Alestra/

Thanks,

Jonathan