Jon

Default boat wood question

The domestic woods around here are pine, ash, red
oak, black oak, white oak, walnut, hickory, elm and
locust. I can have any of these timbers sawn at area
sawmills and stack them for seasoning.

What are the most resistant woods to sea critters?
barnacles, worms and so forth.

I know that cherry and maple rot about as bad as pine,
but I don't know which kind of oak is best.

Can anyone tell me or point me to a site that rates
woods for salt water vessels?

Brian Nystrom

Jon wrote:

The domestic woods around here are pine, ash, red
oak, black oak, white oak, walnut, hickory, elm and
locust. I can have any of these timbers sawn at area
sawmills and stack them for seasoning.

What are the most resistant woods to sea critters?
barnacles, worms and so forth.

Locust is one of, if not the most rot resistant domestic wood. Locust
fence posts can easily last 30 years or more in the ground. It's also
very heavy and very hard.

I know that cherry and maple rot about as bad as pine,
but I don't know which kind of oak is best.

White oak is the classic wood for boats. Red oak will work for boats
that are not kept in the water all the time, but it's not often used.

Can anyone tell me or point me to a site that rates
woods for salt water vessels?

Salt water is a good wood preservative. Fresh water is much more of a
problem as it causes rot very quickly.

William R. Watt

"Jon" ) writes:
The domestic woods around here are pine, ash, red
oak, black oak, white oak, walnut, hickory, elm and
locust. I can have any of these timbers sawn at area
sawmills and stack them for seasoning.

What are the most resistant woods to sea critters?
barnacles, worms and so forth.

Could be wrong but I don't think any wood is resistant to barnacles or
marine borers. That's why salt water wood boats below the waterline are
sheathed in copper or resins and/or coated with some anti-fouling
substance.

Rot is something else. There are woods which are more resistant to the
moulds which eat and weaken wood.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Matt/Meribeth Pedersen

White Oak and Locust are going to be your best bets
for rot resistance, but they won't resist barnacles or
borers. Stay away from Red Oak if you can.
Walnut is pretty rot resistant too, although tradition
says it's bad luck to use walnut in a boat. I don't
know why, probably because it was once a fine
coffin material.

If you've got a high speed connection, try the
Forest Products Lab Wood Handbook, available
in .pdf format. Ten years ago this huge book cost
over $100. Now it's free, thanks to the gumint and
the Internet.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/FP.../fplgtr113.htm

It's got all the information you seek and more. Most of
what you're looking for is in Chapter three.

Matt

"Jon" wrote in message
nk.net...
The domestic woods around here are pine, ash, red
oak, black oak, white oak, walnut, hickory, elm and
locust. I can have any of these timbers sawn at area
sawmills and stack them for seasoning.

What are the most resistant woods to sea critters?
barnacles, worms and so forth.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

White oak.

On Thu, 27 May 2004 21:29:29 GMT, "Jon" wrote:

The domestic woods around here are pine, ash, red
oak, black oak, white oak, walnut, hickory, elm and
locust. I can have any of these timbers sawn at area
sawmills and stack them for seasoning.

What are the most resistant woods to sea critters?
barnacles, worms and so forth.

I know that cherry and maple rot about as bad as pine,
but I don't know which kind of oak is best.

Can anyone tell me or point me to a site that rates
woods for salt water vessels?

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Ask not with whom the buck stops . . .

Frank Hagan

Besides the Federal handbook, the Glen-L site has some good info on
wood. Go to http://www.glen-l.com and click on the "Boatbuilding
Woods" link on the left.

Contrary to popular opinion, red oak will work if continually
immersed. It is porous, so it holds water and will rot easily if
taken out of the water, but there are plenty of large boats with red
oak keels. White oak and locust are favored woods.

On Thu, 27 May 2004 21:29:29 GMT, "Jon" wrote:

The domestic woods around here are pine, ash, red
oak, black oak, white oak, walnut, hickory, elm and
locust. I can have any of these timbers sawn at area
sawmills and stack them for seasoning.

What are the most resistant woods to sea critters?
barnacles, worms and so forth.

I know that cherry and maple rot about as bad as pine,
but I don't know which kind of oak is best.

Can anyone tell me or point me to a site that rates
woods for salt water vessels?

- - -
http://www.messing-about.com
Resources for the Boat Builder, Renovator and Small Boat Skipper
Chris Crandall

Not all locust is the same.

*Black* locust is extraordinarily resistant to critters and rot.
I have never seen it available in plank length, or any other substantial
length.

Honey locust (much more widely available) is not particularly durable (the
technical term for rot resistance).

The two locusts are as far apart in qualities as red and white oak.
The only black locust I have ever seen used in boatbuilding is as trim, as
parts of blocks, and as cleats. It's nice stuff. Let me know if you find
a source for lengthy pieces (or find a way to make your own).

Chris Crandall

Chris Crandall ) wrote:

: Not all locust is the same.

: *Black* locust is extraordinarily resistant to critters and rot.
: Honey locust (much more widely available) is not particularly durable (the
: technical term for rot resistance).

: The two locusts are as far apart in qualities as red and white oak.

I checked--they're not even the same genus; they're no more similar than
western hemlock and douglas fir.

Update on ICOM M-502 Harry Krause General 9 January 16th 04 04:21 AM
Wood in new boat construction? stealth General 25 January 7th 04 10:03 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
NEW Boat Profit Margins Konnie General 19 December 19th 03 04:57 AM