Brian Nystrom

Default boat wood question

Jon wrote:

The domestic woods around here are pine, ash, red
oak, black oak, white oak, walnut, hickory, elm and
locust. I can have any of these timbers sawn at area
sawmills and stack them for seasoning.

What are the most resistant woods to sea critters?
barnacles, worms and so forth.

Locust is one of, if not the most rot resistant domestic wood. Locust
fence posts can easily last 30 years or more in the ground. It's also
very heavy and very hard.

I know that cherry and maple rot about as bad as pine,
but I don't know which kind of oak is best.

White oak is the classic wood for boats. Red oak will work for boats
that are not kept in the water all the time, but it's not often used.

Can anyone tell me or point me to a site that rates
woods for salt water vessels?

Salt water is a good wood preservative. Fresh water is much more of a
problem as it causes rot very quickly.