Matt/Meribeth Pedersen

Default boat wood question

White Oak and Locust are going to be your best bets
for rot resistance, but they won't resist barnacles or
borers. Stay away from Red Oak if you can.
Walnut is pretty rot resistant too, although tradition
says it's bad luck to use walnut in a boat. I don't
know why, probably because it was once a fine
coffin material.

If you've got a high speed connection, try the
Forest Products Lab Wood Handbook, available
in .pdf format. Ten years ago this huge book cost
over $100. Now it's free, thanks to the gumint and
the Internet.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/FP.../fplgtr113.htm

It's got all the information you seek and more. Most of
what you're looking for is in Chapter three.

Matt

"Jon" wrote in message
nk.net...
The domestic woods around here are pine, ash, red
oak, black oak, white oak, walnut, hickory, elm and
locust. I can have any of these timbers sawn at area
sawmills and stack them for seasoning.

What are the most resistant woods to sea critters?
barnacles, worms and so forth.