Brian Nystrom

Default boat wood question

Chris Crandall wrote:
Not all locust is the same.

*Black* locust is extraordinarily resistant to critters and rot.
I have never seen it available in plank length, or any other substantial
length.

My girlfriend's house sits in a grove of black locust trees. The
problems with making lumber from them are that they don't grow
especially large in diameter and they rarely grow straight for more than
a few feet. For the most part, they're very twisted, gnarled looking
trees, though they do grow quite tall.

John213a

Chris Crandall wrote:
Not all locust is the same.

*Black* locust is extraordinarily resistant to critters and rot.
I have never seen it available in plank length, or any other substantial
length. BRBR

I have a bunch of locust on family property in the Catskills of NY. But for
the life of me, I can't seem to figure out from what I have researched on the
web if they are Black locust or honey locust. Even the discriptions on some
sights seem contradictory.
Especially when "ship mast" locust is mentioned as a type of black locust. My
trees are relatively stright for about 20 feet before they branch out, and have
small thorns. (some sites seem to say Black L. is small thorned and Honey is
really large thorned. I would really like to know which one I have. Is there
a sure fire way of identifying them? I know they once were poached for fence
posts and some that have come down that I cut up for fire wood 25 years ago are
still relativly sound where I stacked them, only soft on the outer growth wood.
Chris Crandall

Honey locust spines are about two inches long when hard. As they grow,
they are softer.

Honey locust would not last as fence posts; black locust will. Their being
used as fence posts doesn't mean that it wasn't a mistake--do you know
what happened to them once in the ground?

Wood will not rot when left out in the open, typically. However, when
it's in contact with the ground, or kept moist, then it will. A pile of
firewood is not the best test.

In sum, I cannot tell from what you know.

John213a ) wrote:
: Chris Crandall wrote:
: Not all locust is the same.
:
[...]

Update on ICOM M-502 Harry Krause General 9 January 16th 04 04:21 AM
Wood in new boat construction? stealth General 25 January 7th 04 10:03 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
NEW Boat Profit Margins Konnie General 19 December 19th 03 04:57 AM