William R. Watt

Default boat wood question

"Jon" ) writes:
The domestic woods around here are pine, ash, red
oak, black oak, white oak, walnut, hickory, elm and
locust. I can have any of these timbers sawn at area
sawmills and stack them for seasoning.

What are the most resistant woods to sea critters?
barnacles, worms and so forth.

Could be wrong but I don't think any wood is resistant to barnacles or
marine borers. That's why salt water wood boats below the waterline are
sheathed in copper or resins and/or coated with some anti-fouling
substance.

Rot is something else. There are woods which are more resistant to the
moulds which eat and weaken wood.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm