Frank Hagan

Default boat wood question

Besides the Federal handbook, the Glen-L site has some good info on
wood. Go to http://www.glen-l.com and click on the "Boatbuilding
Woods" link on the left.

Contrary to popular opinion, red oak will work if continually
immersed. It is porous, so it holds water and will rot easily if
taken out of the water, but there are plenty of large boats with red
oak keels. White oak and locust are favored woods.

On Thu, 27 May 2004 21:29:29 GMT, "Jon" wrote:

The domestic woods around here are pine, ash, red
oak, black oak, white oak, walnut, hickory, elm and
locust. I can have any of these timbers sawn at area
sawmills and stack them for seasoning.

What are the most resistant woods to sea critters?
barnacles, worms and so forth.

I know that cherry and maple rot about as bad as pine,
but I don't know which kind of oak is best.

Can anyone tell me or point me to a site that rates
woods for salt water vessels?

- - -
http://www.messing-about.com
Resources for the Boat Builder, Renovator and Small Boat Skipper