Parallax

Default epoxy thickener

I have been working on Minicup #2 but ran out of colloidal silica
epoxy thickener and do not feel like driving all the way across town
to West marine. So, I recalled some discussions about using talcum
powder or wood flour for this purpose. First, I used some of my wifes
powder till she found out and blew a gasket over it. I checked,
powder is expensive, makes the boat smell funny too. Then, I recalled
cornstarch is used as a thicken er for stews and soups and I had a
little and it worked fairly well. When it ran out, I used regular
flour, it does not work as well but is ok. I wonder if I could mix a
bug killer like Sevin dust with it to help preserve the wood.
Jim Conlin

Watch this space. It's gonna happen.
One of these days, someone will nominate garden dirt as an epoxy filler.
Hey, it's good for standing on and it's cheap.

Parallax wrote:

I have been working on Minicup #2 but ran out of colloidal silica
epoxy thickener and do not feel like driving all the way across town
to West marine. So, I recalled some discussions about using talcum
powder or wood flour for this purpose. First, I used some of my wifes
powder till she found out and blew a gasket over it. I checked,
powder is expensive, makes the boat smell funny too. Then, I recalled
cornstarch is used as a thicken er for stews and soups and I had a
little and it worked fairly well. When it ran out, I used regular
flour, it does not work as well but is ok. I wonder if I could mix a
bug killer like Sevin dust with it to help preserve the wood.

William R. Watt

I'd wash it through a fine mesh seive first. I don't see why you shouldn't
use clean dirt. A nice sandy loam will be mostly silica. Clay is powdered
rock. Talc is powdered rock. You can mix dirt with cement. Done that. And
dirt doesn't contain perfume so the boat won't smell like the wife's face
powder.

Parallax wrote:

I have been working on Minicup #2 but ran out of colloidal silica
epoxy thickener and do not feel like driving all the way across town
to West marine. So, I recalled some discussions about using talcum
powder or wood flour for this purpose. First, I used some of my wifes
powder till she found out and blew a gasket over it. I checked,
powder is expensive, makes the boat smell funny too. Then, I recalled
cornstarch is used as a thicken er for stews and soups and I had a
little and it worked fairly well. When it ran out, I used regular
flour, it does not work as well but is ok. I wonder if I could mix a
bug killer like Sevin dust with it to help preserve the wood.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Martin Schöön

On Thu, 27 May 2004 07:54:05 -0700, Parallax wrote:

I have been working on Minicup #2 but ran out of colloidal silica
epoxy thickener and do not feel like driving all the way across town
to West marine. So, I recalled some discussions about using talcum
powder or wood flour for this purpose. First, I used some of my wifes
powder till she found out and blew a gasket over it. I checked,
powder is expensive, makes the boat smell funny too. Then, I recalled
cornstarch is used as a thicken er for stews and soups and I had a
little and it worked fairly well. When it ran out, I used regular
flour, it does not work as well but is ok. I wonder if I could mix a
bug killer like Sevin dust with it to help preserve the wood.

What filler to choose depends on what you want to achieve:

-Colidica Silica for just making a thick but heavy putty.
-Micro baloons for making light-weight and easy to sand putty.
-Fibres to reinforce putty.
-Pigments

You could mix any of the abovementioned fillers to blend the properties
of the putty. Fibres could be anything including sawdust.

Some of the substances you mentioned are probably no good but for
laughs. Stick to the ones I listed and live happy. Do experiements
to find out how the different fillers work and how much to use for
different applications.

Martin Schöön * * * * * * * * * *"Problems worthy of attack
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * prove their worth by hitting back"
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Piet Hein

Brian Nystrom

Parallax wrote:

I have been working on Minicup #2 but ran out of colloidal silica
epoxy thickener and do not feel like driving all the way across town
to West marine. So, I recalled some discussions about using talcum
powder or wood flour for this purpose. First, I used some of my wifes
powder till she found out and blew a gasket over it. I checked,
powder is expensive, makes the boat smell funny too. Then, I recalled
cornstarch is used as a thicken er for stews and soups and I had a
little and it worked fairly well. When it ran out, I used regular
flour, it does not work as well but is ok. I wonder if I could mix a
bug killer like Sevin dust with it to help preserve the wood.

Is this supposed to be a joke? If not, remind me never to board a vessel
that you've built.

William R. Watt

Brian Nystrom ) writes:

Is this supposed to be a joke? If not, remind me never to board a vessel
that you've built.

talc and flour are used as thickenres in resins. the problem with scented
talc is the smell released when sanding. urea formaldehyde adehsive
(plastic resin marine glue) is sold as a powder which includes either
wheat or rye flour as a thickener.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Parallax

Martin Schöön wrote in message . ..
[...]

I appreciate all of this info. However, given the choice between
doing something right and doing it weird, I am unable to stop myself
and inevitably choose weird.
Happened to have some copper dust from a previous experiment to make
antifouling that could be applied underwater (yes, it worked) so I
added some of this to the areas to be enclosed in the theory that it
would prevent fungal rot.

William R. Watt

Jim Conlin ) writes:
Brian, we are being trolled.

Define "trolled". What you are reading may be non-conventional but that is
how progress is made. Many of the advances in boat design and construction
that have made their way into conventional big boat commercial shops came
from the non-conventional small boat projects of amateurs.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

West epoxy - expanding under LP? BCC Boat Building 11 April 17th 04 05:37 PM
Epoxy under Varnish on deck? Ervin Charles Boat Building 5 March 7th 04 04:04 AM
Epoxy v. Poly rude Boat Building 5 February 12th 04 02:05 PM
Polyester or Epoxy? Allan Boat Building 76 January 28th 04 02:51 AM
epoxy does so pass water William R. Watt Boat Building 14 November 11th 03 12:52 PM