William R. Watt

Default epoxy thickener

I'd wash it through a fine mesh seive first. I don't see why you shouldn't
use clean dirt. A nice sandy loam will be mostly silica. Clay is powdered
rock. Talc is powdered rock. You can mix dirt with cement. Done that. And
dirt doesn't contain perfume so the boat won't smell like the wife's face
powder.

Jim Conlin ) writes:
Watch this space. It's gonna happen.
One of these days, someone will nominate garden dirt as an epoxy filler.
Hey, it's good for standing on and it's cheap.

Parallax wrote:

I have been working on Minicup #2 but ran out of colloidal silica
epoxy thickener and do not feel like driving all the way across town
to West marine. So, I recalled some discussions about using talcum
powder or wood flour for this purpose. First, I used some of my wifes
powder till she found out and blew a gasket over it. I checked,
powder is expensive, makes the boat smell funny too. Then, I recalled
cornstarch is used as a thicken er for stews and soups and I had a
little and it worked fairly well. When it ran out, I used regular
flour, it does not work as well but is ok. I wonder if I could mix a
bug killer like Sevin dust with it to help preserve the wood.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm