Stu Knowles

Default Caulking Putty + Lead

Hi All,
I am re building a very tired wooden 'double ender' fishing boat built 40
years ago in Redcar UK.
Along each side of the keel / stem, is a gap between keel & first plank
which is packed with caulking cotton covered with putty mixed with lead
powder.

Question, In what proportion does the lead powder get mixed with the putty?
( I understand it keeps the putty flexible)

All suggestions appreciated ( well the clean ones anyway)

Best regards,
Stu Knowles.
Doncaster UK

Lew Hodgett

"Stu Knowles" writes:
snip
Question, In what proportion does the lead powder get mixed with the

putty?
( I understand it keeps the putty flexible)

You want to RUN, not WALK away from this one.

I can't answer your question; however, in this day and age, contact with
lead powder should be avoided like it was the plague, IMHO.

HTH

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

James

You can buy red and white lead putty.. ready mixed up from traditional boat
supplies.
Its cheap enough that few people in my neck of the woods bother to make it
up themselves.

Traditional Boat Supplies
31, Ravensmere
Beccles Suffolk
NR34 9DH
Tel: 01502 712311

I think they have a website.. but I dont know the URL

"Stu Knowles" wrote in message
Hi All,
I am re building a very tired wooden 'double ender' fishing boat built 40
years ago in Redcar UK.
Along each side of the keel / stem, is a gap between keel & first plank
which is packed with caulking cotton covered with putty mixed with lead
powder.

Question, In what proportion does the lead powder get mixed with the

putty?
( I understand it keeps the putty flexible)

All suggestions appreciated ( well the clean ones anyway)

Best regards,
Stu Knowles.
Doncaster UK

colvin_schooner

There are numerous underwater seam compounds that do not use lead. Much
more important than having lead in the putty is that the seam be properly
prepared and caulked.
Why play with lead when the new products work well? The super modern poly
caulks are usually not necessary but if the seam is dangerously big the
additional adhesion can help. Best is to stick with canned underwater seam
compounds.

I have done a bit but am not a caulker. (find one and ask or read a
book!)
(a) get the seam clean and dry.
(b) prime the seam with paint (most any oil paint)
(c) caulk seam (cotton if small/ oakum if large)
(d) paint over the caulking
(e) putty over the caulking to less than flush (allow swelling)
(f) paint over putty

best
George

Best deal on lead foam? TBFisher Boat Building 11 October 31st 03 02:08 AM
Making polyester putty? Jordan Boat Building 10 October 25th 03 11:23 PM
Speaking of caulking ... Paul General 12 September 5th 03 06:36 PM
Stain and caulking for mahogany runabout Allan Yates Boat Building 0 August 16th 03 09:55 PM
Adding lead ballast Lorence M Boat Building 0 July 9th 03 02:19 AM