Jordan

Default Making polyester putty?

Hello -

I'm looking for the ingredients and ratios to make polyester putty.
Can anyone steer me in the right direction? email is rbaulbin at
yahoo.com

Thanks!

Jordan
Donald Phillips

Jordan wrote:
Hello -

I'm looking for the ingredients and ratios to make polyester putty.
Can anyone steer me in the right direction? email is rbaulbin at
yahoo.com

Thanks!

Jordan

Make up your own. I assume we're talking body filler, right? If it's
horizontal, I use mostly microballons or glass beads. It runs pretty
good and will self level fairly well. On vertical, add a good bit of
silica to the above until it doesn't drip off the stirring stick. Most
of us use epoxy instead of polyester. It works about the same which
ever you use. I don't measure filler. Use enough microballons to make
it thick and creamy. Add silica until doesn't drip off the stick.

Donald

--
I'm building a Steel Robert's 434. You can sneak a peek if you wish by
clicking on me link below.

William R. Watt

I've mixed resin and filler to the consistency I want and then mixed in
the right amount of catalyst for the amount of resin I used. The filler is
some grey powder sold as polyester filler. I can't get a smooth surface
with this filler. You have to get it as even as you can or its quite a
job to sand it smooth, especially if working in corners. A plastic cover
might help.

Jordan ) writes:
Hello -

I'm looking for the ingredients and ratios to make polyester putty.
Can anyone steer me in the right direction? email is rbaulbin at
yahoo.com

Thanks!

Jordan

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Ron White

Very rough proportions I have used were 1/3 (volume) each, cabosil,
microballons, resin. Mixed the cablsil and ballons about 50/50 the added the
resin. Usually I made about .5 guart-.75 quart mixed voluume and catalatzed
it at about 7-10 cc per batch. Mostly this was used for joint radius
compound. I bought ALL fairing compound premixed. BTW I put the joint radius
compound in quart ziplock bags with usually a 1/2" or 3/4" pvc pipe nozzle
to apply like a caulking gun. It did a good job and saved a lot of time.
--
Ron White
My boatbuilding website is:

sour (max camirand)

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 00:49:25 -0500, Donald Phillips
wrote:

Make up your own. I assume we're talking body filler, right? If it's
horizontal, I use mostly microballons or glass beads. It runs pretty
good and will self level fairly well. On vertical, add a good bit of
silica to the above until it doesn't drip off the stirring stick. Most
of us use epoxy instead of polyester. It works about the same which
ever you use. I don't measure filler. Use enough microballons to make
it thick and creamy. Add silica until doesn't drip off the stick.

Donald

These are good instructions. Just to specify, you want it about as
thick as peanut butter. Only use as much cabosil (silica) as
necessary, though, because it's a ***** to sand.

-m

Brian D

Actually, if you mix microballoons into it until it looks very nearly thick
enough (soft peanut butter), then you'll find that only a little silica will
keep it from sagging. Estimating from my own work, I'd say about 85%
phenolic microballoons plus about 15% silica, by volume.

Brian

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

wrote:

Make up your own. I assume we're talking body filler, right? If it's
horizontal, I use mostly microballons or glass beads. It runs pretty
good and will self level fairly well. On vertical, add a good bit of
silica to the above until it doesn't drip off the stirring stick. Most
of us use epoxy instead of polyester. It works about the same which
ever you use. I don't measure filler. Use enough microballons to make
it thick and creamy. Add silica until doesn't drip off the stick.

Donald

These are good instructions. Just to specify, you want it about as
thick as peanut butter. Only use as much cabosil (silica) as
necessary, though, because it's a ***** to sand.

-m

sour (max camirand)

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 23:49:33 GMT, "Brian D"
wrote:

Actually, if you mix microballoons into it until it looks very nearly thick
enough (soft peanut butter), then you'll find that only a little silica will
keep it from sagging. Estimating from my own work, I'd say about 85%
phenolic microballoons plus about 15% silica, by volume.

Brian

Exactly. Don't go mixing it with 100% silica just because it's
vertical. I've seen people do it. I think they're still sanding.

-m
Brian D

But if the weather or shop is warm, or you are putting on more than just a
thin layer, mixing it a bit on the thick side is better. The epoxy can heat
up after or during application and this can cause it to sag. How thick to
make it is easily judged with only a little experience, like your 2nd or 3rd
batch or so. Easy.

Brian

wrote:

Actually, if you mix microballoons into it until it looks very nearly

thick
enough (soft peanut butter), then you'll find that only a little silica

will
keep it from sagging. Estimating from my own work, I'd say about 85%
phenolic microballoons plus about 15% silica, by volume.

Brian

Exactly. Don't go mixing it with 100% silica just because it's
vertical. I've seen people do it. I think they're still sanding.

-m

Old Nick

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 00:49:25 -0500, Donald Phillips
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

So Silica gives a different slime result from mballoons?

Serious. I have used various fillers (not silica, because of sanding).
They give "thick" but not thixotropic. How is silica different from a
simple filler? "International" epoxies are thixotropic. Run when you
touch them. Hang in globs until youm do. It's a gel.

Make up your own. I assume we're talking body filler, right? If it's
horizontal, I use mostly microballons or glass beads. It runs pretty
good and will self level fairly well. On vertical, add a good bit of
silica to the above until it doesn't drip off the stirring stick. Most
of us use epoxy instead of polyester. It works about the same which
ever you use. I don't measure filler. Use enough microballons to make
it thick and creamy. Add silica until doesn't drip off the stick.

************************************************** ****************************************
Whenever you have to prove to yourself that you are
not something, you probably are.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/
Brian D

Yes, adding silica miraculously changes a droopy glop into a glop that stays
put. Doesn't require too much either. The amount you add doesn't affect
the ability to sand at all ...can't tell it's there when you are sanding.

Brian

--

**************
Whenever you have to prove to yourself that you are
not something, you probably are.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/

Blown engine? Mercruiser in line 6 making a noise like a mixmaster tom clark General 4 April 11th 10 12:39 AM
plug making R. Smith/M.J. Johnson Boat Building 8 October 21st 03 12:58 AM
Polyester epoxy carlp Boat Building 8 October 2nd 03 09:07 PM
polyester - epoxy bonding Walt Boat Building 19 July 27th 03 06:37 PM
wood polyester reapair on a small sailboat Rintje Hibma Boat Building 1 July 25th 03 09:26 PM