Rintje Hibma

Default wood polyester reapair on a small sailboat

I have a question. I am restoring an old sailing boat type vrijheid,
5.5meters long.
While doing it I asked myself a question, what is the best way to rebuild
it.
It is a boat wich is originally from wood, but later on people have done a
polyester outside around it. Lots of wood inside is rotten, I replace it
with new wood and small spots I replace with epoxy.
Am I doing the right thing??

Jim Champ

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:25:25 +0200, "Rintje Hibma"
wrote:

I have a question. I am restoring an old sailing boat type vrijheid,
5.5meters long.
While doing it I asked myself a question, what is the best way to rebuild
it.
It is a boat wich is originally from wood, but later on people have done a
polyester outside around it. Lots of wood inside is rotten, I replace it
with new wood and small spots I replace with epoxy.
Am I doing the right thing??

This sounds like a very nasty situation. Depends on what you want too.
If you just want to get another season't life out of something that's
going to be scrapped then probably fair enough. But...

If you want it to have a long term life it sounds as if all that
polyester (and glass?) is doing is making a trap for the wet and the
rot spores. In that case its got to all come off,and the wood
structure made good start to finish. Huge job.

Maybe lash it up with as little money as possible and start saving!

Jim C

http://www.surreyweb.org.uk/ibrsc/docs/jcmail.htm can be used to email me.

OT Bush hatred basskisser General 210 February 16th 04 02:46 PM
small sailboat for coastal ocean: laser, or something better? jason General 5 December 30th 03 03:37 AM
Composite stringer grids Rich Stern General 55 November 23rd 03 02:24 AM
small sailboat design question. Jerry Morris Boat Building 1 July 24th 03 09:44 PM