Paul

Default Speaking of caulking ...

My anchor gypsy (okay, I'm not really sure it's called that ... the thing
that I wrap the rode around and it pulls it up when I press the button) is
caulked around the bottom where it attaches to the deck. The caulking is
getting some mold or fungus or whatever -- I didn't DNA test it.

I shot it with some fantastik but that didn't do anything. The caulking
itself seems to be fine but it looks like crap and I'd like to clean it up.

My question is this:

Should I just caulk right over it to make it nice again or will the mold
come right through again? Is there some cleaner that I can use?

My goal is to have a watertight seal that also looks good. Right now it's
watertight so I think all I want to do is make it look good.

Over to you.

JohnH

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 00:16:01 GMT, "Paul" wrote:

My anchor gypsy (okay, I'm not really sure it's called that ... the thing
that I wrap the rode around and it pulls it up when I press the button) is
caulked around the bottom where it attaches to the deck. The caulking is
getting some mold or fungus or whatever -- I didn't DNA test it.

I shot it with some fantastik but that didn't do anything. The caulking
itself seems to be fine but it looks like crap and I'd like to clean it up.

My question is this:

Should I just caulk right over it to make it nice again or will the mold
come right through again? Is there some cleaner that I can use?

My goal is to have a watertight seal that also looks good. Right now it's
watertight so I think all I want to do is make it look good.

Over to you.

MDDW suggested using Clorox to remove some mold from inside the cuddy on my
boat. Worked like a charm. Suggest putting some on a rag, wiping the mold, let
sit a minute, then wipe off with wet rag. If it doesn't work, you've lost
nothing but the colors in your first rag!

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
Gould 0738

MDDW suggested using Clorox to remove some mold from inside the cuddy on my
boat. Worked like a charm. Suggest putting some on a rag, wiping the mold,
let
sit a minute, then wipe off with wet rag. If it doesn't work, you've lost
nothing but the colors in your first rag!

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

CAREFUL! Bleach can tear livin' hell out of
deck caulk. Causes it to shrink and lose elasticity sometimes. I'd try
something else first, or be prepared to recaulk.

By the way, the thingie that hauls your rode when you press the button (when
referring to the entire gizmo) is a windlass.
That term is easy to remember, because if you didn't have one you'd post your
wife or girlfriend on the foredeck with a big empty spool and when it was time
to haul the rode you'd order her to, "wind, lass!"

If you have a portion of it with cogged teeth to haul chain, that cogged wheel
is properly referred to as a gypsy.

noah

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 00:16:01 GMT, "Paul" wrote:

My anchor gypsy (okay, I'm not really sure it's called that ... the thing
that I wrap the rode around and it pulls it up when I press the button) is
caulked around the bottom where it attaches to the deck. The caulking is
getting some mold or fungus or whatever -- I didn't DNA test it.

I shot it with some fantastik but that didn't do anything. The caulking
itself seems to be fine but it looks like crap and I'd like to clean it up.

My question is this:

Should I just caulk right over it to make it nice again or will the mold
come right through again? Is there some cleaner that I can use?

My goal is to have a watertight seal that also looks good. Right now it's
watertight so I think all I want to do is make it look good.

Over to you.

Chlorine bleach will work or, if you want spray bottle convenience,
good old "Lysol Mildew Remover" works just as well, and is easier to
store. Buy either in the "cleaning" aisle of your favorite
supermarket.

*Don't* caulk over it, as you won't get a good bond, and the whole
thing will soon be a mess.

Good luck.
noah
jps

"Paul" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
My anchor gypsy (okay, I'm not really sure it's called that ... the thing
that I wrap the rode around and it pulls it up when I press the button) is
caulked around the bottom where it attaches to the deck. The caulking is
getting some mold or fungus or whatever -- I didn't DNA test it.

I shot it with some fantastik but that didn't do anything. The caulking
itself seems to be fine but it looks like crap and I'd like to clean it

up.

My question is this:

Should I just caulk right over it to make it nice again or will the mold
come right through again? Is there some cleaner that I can use?

Mold is a bitch once it's set in. I'd just get the razor blade out and
start cutting the stuff out. If you're a decent caulker, you'll be happy
with the results.

From my kitchen and bathroom experience, those slightly rounded sponges work
incredibly well at smoothing if you're going with a water-based caulk. I'm
not certain how to get a nice bead with the polysulfides...

No doubt someone here knows the answer.

jps

Wayne.B

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 00:16:01 GMT, "Paul" wrote:
My anchor gypsy (okay, I'm not really sure it's called that ... the thing
that I wrap the rode around and it pulls it up when I press the button) is
caulked around the bottom where it attaches to the deck. The caulking is
getting some mold or fungus or whatever -- I didn't DNA test it.

I shot it with some fantastik but that didn't do anything. The caulking
itself seems to be fine but it looks like crap and I'd like to clean it up.

My question is this:

Should I just caulk right over it to make it nice again or will the mold
come right through again? Is there some cleaner that I can use?

My goal is to have a watertight seal that also looks good. Right now it's
watertight so I think all I want to do is make it look good.

============================
It might respond to a light scrubbing with dilute chlorine bleach
solution followed by a fresh water rinse. If that doesn't work, a
light abrasive cleaner like comet with bleach may be effective.
If all else fails, caulking over will spruce it up if you do a neat
job (mask off, use WD-40 to clean up).

Are you in the St Lawrence River (Grenadier Island)?

Keith

If it's silicone, the stuff may actually be growing inside the caulk. Also,
you can't caulk over old silicone, even with new silicone. It just won't
stick. Best thing if you really want to mess with it is to remove all the
old caulking/bedding and redo it with polysulfide like BoatLife. Otherwise,
you can try bleach or something with oxalic acid in it, like FSR or
barkeeper's friend scrubbing powder.

--

Keith
__
"Paul" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
My anchor gypsy (okay, I'm not really sure it's called that ... the thing
that I wrap the rode around and it pulls it up when I press the button) is
caulked around the bottom where it attaches to the deck. The caulking is
getting some mold or fungus or whatever -- I didn't DNA test it.

I shot it with some fantastik but that didn't do anything. The caulking
itself seems to be fine but it looks like crap and I'd like to clean it

up.

My question is this:

Should I just caulk right over it to make it nice again or will the mold
come right through again? Is there some cleaner that I can use?

My goal is to have a watertight seal that also looks good. Right now it's
watertight so I think all I want to do is make it look good.

Over to you.

Paul

By the way, the thingie that hauls your rode when you press the button
(when
referring to the entire gizmo) is a windlass.

If you have a portion of it with cogged teeth to haul chain, that cogged

wheel
is properly referred to as a gypsy.

I didn't think it was a proper windlass because I still have to manually
store the rode in the thingy in the deck. I feed it through that hole that
has the funny name. Hawse pipe? I think that's it.

Mine is just the roller part, I make couple of wraps around the barrel and
hit the button and it hauls in the line.

It's definitely not a gypsy then because you have to do the chain part
manually ... which is really the heaviest part. In fact we only used it once
to figure it out, it's easier and faster to haul the line by hand since it
weighs next to nothing. By the time you get to the heavy part you're on
manual haul anyway.

Paul

Are you in the St Lawrence River (Grenadier Island)?

Yes, docked at Huck's in Rockport.