Jess

Default Light Weight vs Heavy Weight

Was wondering, there're a lot of nice designs for plywood boats out here now
and some look very attractive.

What I wonder is how do they handle in comparison to a similar built hull in
fiberglass.

We had an extensive give and take on this, on a NE fishing board, and
everyone said that "heavy" is one quality thaey all want in a boat.

So ...is it worth looking to designs like Arch Davis or Bateau or (I want to
build my own boat) look into something like a C-Flex design.

Than yiu.

Matt Langenfeld

The argument I hear for a heavy boat is that it handles the rough seas
better. I say it's more a factor of boat design. If you take 2 flat
bottom skiffs into rough water...1 weighing less the the other...the
heavier one will be subject to less tossing about. However, a skiff
wasn't made for rough seas.

A lighter hull will be more fuel efficient, be able to handle more of a
load of people/gear, and cost less in the long run. If you build a
lighter weight hull that is shaped for rough water, you'll do better
than a heavier one.

That's my opinion. That and $4 will get you coffee at Starbucks.

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft

Jess wrote:
Was wondering, there're a lot of nice designs for plywood boats out here now
and some look very attractive.

What I wonder is how do they handle in comparison to a similar built hull in
fiberglass.

We had an extensive give and take on this, on a NE fishing board, and
everyone said that "heavy" is one quality thaey all want in a boat.

So ...is it worth looking to designs like Arch Davis or Bateau or (I want to
build my own boat) look into something like a C-Flex design.

Than yiu.

Old Nick

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 23:27:19 GMT, "Jess"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Does "heavy" refer to wieght or handling?

If you can get the same strength, it would be better to go for the
lighter boat. You can add your own ballast (and most people usually
do!)

Was wondering, there're a lot of nice designs for plywood boats out here now
and some look very attractive.

What I wonder is how do they handle in comparison to a similar built hull in
fiberglass.

We had an extensive give and take on this, on a NE fishing board, and
everyone said that "heavy" is one quality thaey all want in a boat.

So ...is it worth looking to designs like Arch Davis or Bateau or (I want to
build my own boat) look into something like a C-Flex design.

Than yiu.

I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
.........no I'm not.
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 07:24:43 +0000 (UTC), "James"
wrote:

Pound for pound. Wood is much stronger than GRP

Let's update that a little.

In 1970, some wood construction could be stronger than production GRP
(at the same weight) then available.

GRP covers a variety of things nowadays.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

Capsizing under chute, and having the chute rise and fill without tangling, all while Mark and Sally are still behind you

William R. Watt

wrote:

Pound for pound. Wood is much stronger than GRP

Let's update that a little.

In 1970, some wood construction could be stronger than production GRP
(at the same weight) then available.

GRP covers a variety of things nowadays.

technically it would not be Glass Reinforced Plastic since replacing the
glass with some other fibre seems to be how the weight has been
reduced, also stronger more flexible plastics which allow thinner layups.

however, from what I've read about the heavy vs light question,
heavy is for crusing, light is for racing.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Steve Lusardi

Jess,
If you are inferring that GRP is lighter than wood, it is the unusual case
if it is. GRP and its derivitives have many advantages, but light weight is
not one. The best example I could give is trying to row an aluminum skiff or
an inflatable in a breese. An architech once said to me "Would you rather
live in a cork or in an ice cube?" Lightweight craft have their place in
racing and carrying. If you don't race and you don't intend to carry it on
your back, weight is on the bottom of your list of important items.
Steve

"Jess" wrote in message
Was wondering, there're a lot of nice designs for plywood boats out here

now
and some look very attractive.

What I wonder is how do they handle in comparison to a similar built hull

in
fiberglass.

We had an extensive give and take on this, on a NE fishing board, and
everyone said that "heavy" is one quality thaey all want in a boat.

So ...is it worth looking to designs like Arch Davis or Bateau or (I want

build my own boat) look into something like a C-Flex design.

Than yiu.

Old Nick

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 17:58:37 +0200, "Steve Lusardi"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

If I am rowing a boat in a breeze, _and the windage is the same_, I
would prefer to be rowing the lighter boat. I has less warter
friction.

BTW. Your post compares an _architect's_ statements about _living_ in
corks and icecubes, to illustrate the problems between an inflatable
vs an aluminium boat, to talk about the relative "weights" (densities)
of GRP vs wood, and your apparent aim is to say that GRP is heavier
than wood, if one really thinks about it.

Care to elucidate?

Jess,
If you are inferring that GRP is lighter than wood, it is the unusual case
if it is. GRP and its derivitives have many advantages, but light weight is
not one. The best example I could give is trying to row an aluminum skiff or
an inflatable in a breese. An architech once said to me "Would you rather
live in a cork or in an ice cube?" Lightweight craft have their place in
racing and carrying. If you don't race and you don't intend to carry it on
your back, weight is on the bottom of your list of important items.
Steve

I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
.........no I'm not.
Backyard Renegade

Old Nick wrote in message . ..
[...]

Well, as one who sells boats to folks who want everything, including
light weight I have a comment. I personally think that most want light
boats for many reasons, none of which ususally have anything to do
with water! Thinking of storage or moving and such... Anyway, once you
get on the water, I would think a boat with more weight would have
many advantages over the lightweight junk I build, really, but don't
tell anyone.
Scotty
Steve Lusardi

I guess I wasn't very clear. Weight has the advantage in non-planing
(displacement) craft of having a lot of inertia. In the case of rowing a
light craft, the oars will accelerate the craft quickly, but because the
craft has low inertia, it will decelerate just as quickly. This is
especially apparent in a wind. The heavier craft, on the other hand
accelerates slower, but once up to speed, will hold the forward momentum,
while the oars retract for the next stroke. This extra inertia will also
keep the craft on the intended course much better than a light one. We can
use the same example on sail boats when tacking through the wind. The boat
with the most inertia will maintain steerage way for a much longer time,
giving the crew much more time to ready the rig for the next tack. Now, boat
motion, for the same reason, the felt motion will be much less with the
heavier craft. Speed, most people assume that a lighter craft is faster than
a heavier one. This can be the case, because of hull resistance. The more
wetted surface the more drag. The exception that I was illustrating was for
those craft that do not approach the speed where that factor has significant
influence.

Material, GRP is not stiff, in fact it is quite flexible. In order to create
stiffness, it has to be thicker and that adds weight. Strength and stiffness
is often acheived by bonding in other material, like wood. As craft size
becomes larger, this lack of rigidity will add so much more weight to
compensate for the lack of stiffness and strength that the use of other
material like steel will often create craft that is much lighter than GRP.
Steve