Matt Langenfeld

Default Light Weight vs Heavy Weight

The argument I hear for a heavy boat is that it handles the rough seas
better. I say it's more a factor of boat design. If you take 2 flat
bottom skiffs into rough water...1 weighing less the the other...the
heavier one will be subject to less tossing about. However, a skiff
wasn't made for rough seas.

A lighter hull will be more fuel efficient, be able to handle more of a
load of people/gear, and cost less in the long run. If you build a
lighter weight hull that is shaped for rough water, you'll do better
than a heavier one.

That's my opinion. That and $4 will get you coffee at Starbucks.

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft

Jess wrote:
Was wondering, there're a lot of nice designs for plywood boats out here now
and some look very attractive.

What I wonder is how do they handle in comparison to a similar built hull in
fiberglass.

We had an extensive give and take on this, on a NE fishing board, and
everyone said that "heavy" is one quality thaey all want in a boat.

So ...is it worth looking to designs like Arch Davis or Bateau or (I want to
build my own boat) look into something like a C-Flex design.

Than yiu.