Old Nick

Default Light Weight vs Heavy Weight

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 23:27:19 GMT, "Jess"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Does "heavy" refer to wieght or handling?

If you can get the same strength, it would be better to go for the
lighter boat. You can add your own ballast (and most people usually
do!)

Was wondering, there're a lot of nice designs for plywood boats out here now
and some look very attractive.

What I wonder is how do they handle in comparison to a similar built hull in
fiberglass.

We had an extensive give and take on this, on a NE fishing board, and
everyone said that "heavy" is one quality thaey all want in a boat.

So ...is it worth looking to designs like Arch Davis or Bateau or (I want to
build my own boat) look into something like a C-Flex design.

Than yiu.

I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
.........no I'm not.