JAG JR

Default Light weight composite boats

Anybody have any experience/built one oft these lightweight composite boats
(plans) on the web now?

Just wondereing how they compare to heavier boats in a sea/wind? Also in a
breeze/tide while docking?

Seems like sailors prefer a little weight. Am I wrong there?

Alexander A. Meller

Seems like sailors prefer a little weight. Am I wrong there?

Famed performance dinghy designer Uffa Fox wrote, "Weight belongs in steam
rollers". Lighter is faster. Of course if your requirements are sailing
heavily laden through major tropical depressions...

Alexander Meller
William R. Watt

in monohull sail boats, up to a point, weight adds to comfort while
reducing speed. although sailing could not be called comfortable compared
to other forms of transportation, one can attempt to reduce the discomfort.

Alexander A. Meller ) writes:
Seems like sailors prefer a little weight. Am I wrong there?

Famed performance dinghy designer Uffa Fox wrote, "Weight belongs in steam
rollers". Lighter is faster. Of course if your requirements are sailing
heavily laden through major tropical depressions...

Alexander Meller

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Backyard Renegade

"JAG JR" wrote in message ...
Anybody have any experience/built one oft these lightweight composite boats
(plans) on the web now?

Just wondereing how they compare to heavier boats in a sea/wind? Also in a
breeze/tide while docking?

Seems like sailors prefer a little weight. Am I wrong there?

Can you be a little more specific? What composite, what size and type
vessel, boating conditions? There are lot's of composites on the web,
from plastic bags, to sglass and foam.
Scotty from Small(composite)boats.com
Kevin

I'm in the process of building a Javelin, it's a 14 composite
Australian/New Zealand skiff. I'm building mine using 4mm marine ply,
Fiberglass and Kevlar.
a finished hull should weigh about 80kg. Plans are free but not on the
web, yet. If your interested I have some construction images I could
send you.

Kevin

Albert Ottens

A friend of mine builds composite power catamarans
of PVC foam, glas fibre and epoxy resin.

multihulls sailing performance is superb.

of monohulls i don't know.

regards
bert ottens

"William R. Watt" schreef in bericht

Alexander A. Meller ) writes:
Seems like sailors prefer a little weight. Am I wrong there?

Famed performance dinghy designer Uffa Fox wrote, "Weight belongs in

steam
rollers". Lighter is faster. Of course if your requirements are

sailing
heavily laden through major tropical depressions...

Alexander Meller

----
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community

network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 00:20:02 GMT, "JAG JR"
wrote:

Anybody have any experience/built one oft these lightweight composite boats
(plans) on the web now?

Just wondereing how they compare to heavier boats in a sea/wind? Also in a
breeze/tide while docking?

Seems like sailors prefer a little weight. Am I wrong there?

Wrong as a generalization. Weight at the bottom of the keel is good in
a ballasted boat. In a high-performance CB boat any weight is bad. The
crew is the ballast.

Excess weight in the structure takes away from the possible ballast
and carrying capacity, so that is bad too, in any boat. But keeping
the structural strength while reducing structural weight costs money.

Rodney Myrvaagnes Opionated old geezer

Faith-based economics: It's deja voodoo all over again