William R. Watt

Default Light Weight vs Heavy Weight

"Steve Lusardi" ) writes:
I guess I wasn't very clear. Weight has the advantage in non-planing
(displacement) craft of having a lot of inertia. In the case of rowing a
light craft, the oars will accelerate the craft quickly, but because the
craft has low inertia, it will decelerate just as quickly. This is
especially apparent in a wind. The heavier craft, on the other hand
accelerates slower, but once up to speed, will hold the forward momentum,
while the oars retract for the next stroke. This extra inertia will also
keep the craft on the intended course much better than a light one. We can
use the same example on sail boats when tacking through the wind. The boat
with the most inertia will maintain steerage way for a much longer time,
giving the crew much more time to ready the rig for the next tack. Now, boat
motion, for the same reason, the felt motion will be much less with the
heavier craft. Speed, most people assume that a lighter craft is faster than
a heavier one. This can be the case, because of hull resistance. The more
wetted surface the more drag. The exception that I was illustrating was for
those craft that do not approach the speed where that factor has significant
influence.

What the above also means is that light boats are more responsive to the
tiller which is an advantage when racing. The boats accellerate faster.
Light weight makes pleasure sailing small boats interesting rather than
boring. Load the boat up for a family outing and it gains the weight and
momentum mentioned above while losing some of its repsponsiveness. With
the family aboard steadiness is more desireable than responsiveness. If
the boats is not going to be raced it can be heavy. Alas the problem with
sailboats is whenever another sail is within sight you are racing. Sailing
can be boring and comparing speed with other boats makes it less so. The
other thing that helps reduce sailing boredom is trying to figure out where
you are.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Rick Tyler

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 23:27:19 GMT, "Jess"
wrote:

We had an extensive give and take on this, on a NE fishing board, and
everyone said that "heavy" is one quality thaey all want in a boat.

The other points are being discussed elsewhere, so let me take up this
one.

"Heavy" means bigger engines, bigger masts, bigger sails, heavier
scantlings, larger fuel tanks, bigger rudder components, and more,
more, more. For a some improvement in ride in rough conditions, the
owner will pay for a more expensive boat up front, that is more
expensive to operate and more expensive to repair.

The heavy vs. light argument is kind of bogus. I would ask, if you
had a 10-ton boat, would you want it to be 25 feet long or 40 feet
long?

- Rick Tyler

--
"Ignorant voracity -- a wingless vulture -- can soar only into the
depths of ignominy." Patrick O'Brian