Rick Tyler

Default Light Weight vs Heavy Weight

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 23:27:19 GMT, "Jess"
wrote:

We had an extensive give and take on this, on a NE fishing board, and
everyone said that "heavy" is one quality thaey all want in a boat.

The other points are being discussed elsewhere, so let me take up this
one.

"Heavy" means bigger engines, bigger masts, bigger sails, heavier
scantlings, larger fuel tanks, bigger rudder components, and more,
more, more. For a some improvement in ride in rough conditions, the
owner will pay for a more expensive boat up front, that is more
expensive to operate and more expensive to repair.

The heavy vs. light argument is kind of bogus. I would ask, if you
had a 10-ton boat, would you want it to be 25 feet long or 40 feet
long?

- Rick Tyler

--
"Ignorant voracity -- a wingless vulture -- can soar only into the
depths of ignominy." Patrick O'Brian